Mop fly colors?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Yellow is the color for May and June if fishing for trout.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Yellow/brown are colors of the September grasshoppers. All fish will feed on them.
Early spring chartreuse that mimics caterpillars are good along with black/yellow during the Catalpa hatch

Concrete Pete

Depends on how soon the trout left the stocking truck. If it’s within a week of stocking, white and orange have saved me.

Last edited:

flyrod444

I really only use one color. It is a light tan tied from mops off a rainx ball made to wipe fog off you windshield. I dub kangaroo fur for the collar next to black bead. Not only is it great for stockers, but I've had clients catch 20" plus wild browns on them a few times as well as a few small mouth bass. Here is a picture of a big brown one off my clients caught on one last year. This was out of a stream that has stock rainbow and wild brown. IMG_20210517_113623716_HDR_copy_510x680.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What Flyrod 444 said. I don't tie or use them often, but when I do, it's almost always tan with a kind of sparkly black collar of short eztaz chenille. Pink or chartreuse will also work for stockers, especially in dingy water.

fishnpreacher

I like chartreuse with a peacock herl collar, or natural tan with a dark collar. Yellow is good too, mountain trout like yellow anything

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Post a picture of one
They're a simple pattern, just a chunk of microfiber dust mop tied on a hook with usually a bit of dubbing or some such at the head. They probably look like crane fly larva in natural colors. They still work in neon colors, too, though.

MopFly.jpg

Latest posts