Moving back to atlanta

ppdaazn

Hi everyone! It is almost a decade since we moved away from GA. Moving back next month by perimeter mall area. Used to hunt redlands but now it is a little further to drive since now i have a 4year old and 7months old so i cant really drive too far. Was looking for wma about 1hour drive around and saw they closed off pinelog because owner is selling off the land. Is there any other places you could recommend? Saw berry college but i kept thinking its only quota hunt? Or do they have a section that allow regular hunting season on it? Living by boston the past 3 years and only gone out 2 times totaling 5 hours and saw just one doe had been a sad streak for me with no family near by so im hoping my “new” mathew from few years ago could take Its first deer lol. Thank you all!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d look into some of the Corp of engineers properties around the lakes . I hope I never have to but if I lived in or around Atlanta I’d be knocking on doors offering to clean gutters , rake lawns or even cut their grass for hunting rights for one of them Ga giant’s we see killed around the area every year . I really don’t think I’d enjoy it but you never know until u try it . Good luck

slow motion

What ant said. There are deer right near where you moved to but obtaining permission to a spot will require a lot of reaching out. Good luck.

ppdaazn

Thanks everyone. Might give knocking on doors a try when i have a chance. Looks like allatoona would be close too. Is berry college worth a drive? I thought i heard there are a lot of deer there few years ago

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If you haven’t already download the GoOutdoorsGA app on your phone do so . License, all the regulations, and all the public land hunting areas at your fingertips . I look at it often . This was Berry’s regs this past season . If I was interested in it I’d for sure put in for their quota hunts . IMG_5406.jpeg

Blackston

If you haven’t already download the GoOutdoorsGA app on your phone do so . License, all the regulations, and all the public land hunting areas at your fingertips . I look at it often . This was Berry’s regs this past season . If I was interested in it I’d for sure put in for their quota hunts . View attachment 1304677
Looks like you could buy a nice crossbow and climber or saddle
and spend a good part of season hunting Berry … The reason I say nice cross bow is them things shoot far and fast !! I’d learn it and sign up for quota hunt like Ant suggested…..And I also am a hunter that lives away from where he grew up . I try my best to do folks right and I talk hunting ( and Jesus ) with most folks I meet , ya never know what kinda permission ya might fall into F13F19CE-FAA5-4CAD-9C3E-D9A3DE78029B.png

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
There's always Dawson Forest.

Waddams

I think McGraw Ford isn't too far? I might be confusing the name. The Corp does by permit hunts at Allatona and Lanier but it can be hard to get selected. Berry College supposed is overpopulated with deer, does quota hunts and might be open access for periods during archery. My understanding it's lots of little or skinnny deer? The many mouths to feed vs. available resources doesn't necessarily support many deer with mass.

Wilson Shoals has some open time as well, and a few pockets of land that one can have a shot at filling a tag with at least a doe. It's hit hard though.

There are pockets of woods in people's backyards. I have in-law's that put out corn in the ditch behind their house and their son shoots one or two each year from a stand at the top of the ditch each year. He could do it just as easily from the deck. It's not really hunting, it's more baiting in urban deer and killing a few to fill the freezer but it does fill the freezer.

I live the Atlanta 'burbs and it's hard to find anything good and easy access within an hour. I drive 2 hrs to my hunting club south of McDonough, and I have hit places out near Elberton on weekender's to a yurt camp with my wife, and I've taking a liking to the quota hunts at Clybel. It's about 1 1/2 hrs. I do prefer my hunting excursions to be leave Friday evening, maybe in time for a sit, hunt Saturday, maybe Sunday morning, then go home. The traffic is too bad to sit through for just a single evening sit then go home for the evening. I love the camp at our club simply for the logistics of staying at the property longer.

It is hard to have an easy hunting option living in Atlanta. Best of luck to you and welcome back.

ppdaazn

If you haven’t already download the GoOutdoorsGA app on your phone do so . License, all the regulations, and all the public land hunting areas at your fingertips . I look at it often . This was Berry’s regs this past season . If I was interested in it I’d for sure put in for their quota hunts . View attachment 1304677
Thats what im trying to figure out. Berry college wma is different than refuge and campus right? Lake lanier looks like its not too far either

Gator89

When I lived in Peachtree Corners, I hunted near Milledgeville on a lease. I could leave the house about 330 to 4 am on a Saturday morning and breeze through the eastside on 285 and be at my lease before daylight.

transfixer

My first question is have you paid attention to the traffic in that area you're moving to ? You couldn't pay me enough money to live over there ! how far away the hunting land is going to be is of a minor concern, you'll spend and hour or more just trying to get outside the perimeter !

In my mind your best bet if to find a decent wooded tract somewhere in the surrounding area you're moving to, search out who owns it and try to acquire permission to bow hunt it .

Waddams

My first question is have you paid attention to the traffic in that area you're moving to ? You couldn't pay me enough money to live over there ! how far away the hunting land is going to be is of a minor concern, you'll spend and hour or more just trying to get outside the perimeter !

In my mind your best bet if to find a decent wooded tract somewhere in the surrounding area you're moving to, search out who owns it and try to acquire permission to bow hunt it .
I've thought about taking this approach too. My issue with it is I enjoy the escape from MetroATL too much to make archery hunting urban pockets my preferred way to hunt. Hunting and the camp at our lease gives me a place to get away from the city and I think I enjoy that as much as hunting itself!

Like another poster, I can get up early and get on the road, then be at the lease early before traffic is bad (most of the time). That's how I usually do it actually. It isn't as convenient admittedly but it is worth it!

transfixer

I've thought about taking this approach too. My issue with it is I enjoy the escape from MetroATL too much to make archery hunting urban pockets my preferred way to hunt. Hunting and the camp at our lease gives me a place to get away from the city and I think I enjoy that as much as hunting itself!

Like another poster, I can get up early and get on the road, then be at the lease early before traffic is bad (most of the time). That's how I usually do it actually. It isn't as convenient admittedly but it is worth it!

I agree, I can actually hunt a wooded lot next to where I live in Douglas county, but have no desire to . Hunting for me isn't just about killing a deer, its about spending time in the woods, overnight multiple nights, deer camp, camp fires, sitting around with other friends and enjoying being outdoors

But if time is going to be a major issue for the original poster, living where he will be living traffic is going to throw monkey wrenches in his plans, if not leaving to go to the woods, definitely coming back home !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to hear weird things about dawson. Is it just to scare newbie like me away? Lol hows the deer population there
Well, Gary Hilton did some very bad things there.

slow motion

I used to hear weird things about dawson. Is it just to scare newbie like me away? Lol hows the deer population there
Dawson Forest is no different than any other public. Good and bad. Get up there and scout some. Haven't hunted it in years so no idea on population. Atlanta tract probably gets the most hunting pressure being furthest south. If you like to fish try Amicalola and Wildcat but follow trout regulations. Driven by Burnt Mountain and it seems the most rugged as far as terrain.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Dawson Forest is no different than any other public. Good and bad. Get up there and scout some. Haven't hunted it in years so no idea on population.

This. ^ If you're willing to put in the boot leather time you can make Dawson pay for you.

Waddams

I agree, I can actually hunt a wooded lot next to where I live in Douglas county, but have no desire to . Hunting for me isn't just about killing a deer, its about spending time in the woods, overnight multiple nights, deer camp, camp fires, sitting around with other friends and enjoying being outdoors

But if time is going to be a major issue for the original poster, living where he will be living traffic is going to throw monkey wrenches in his plans, if not leaving to go to the woods, definitely coming back home !
Now if had a place easy and close to fill the freezer, I'd do it before or after work. Then I'd be very discerning with which deer I decide is worth the trouble at camp.