My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Everything is growing good, but we need rain bad in our area of Carroll. We've been running water on the corn for the last few days. It is at ear stage and really needs the water.

Squash, zuc's, and cucumbers are pouring in every day. Jalapeño's are loaded for this time of year. Probably pick a good bucket full later this week for some cowboy candy. Making a batch of pickles this week, also.

IMG_8837.jpegIMG_8838.jpegIMG_8841.jpegIMG_8843.jpeg

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Everything is growing good, but we need rain bad in our area of Carroll. We've been running water on the corn for the last few days. It is at ear stage and really needs the water.

Squash, zuc's, and cucumbers are pouring in every day. Jalapeño's are loaded for this time of year. Probably pick a good bucket full later this week for some cowboy candy. Making a batch of pickles this week, also.

View attachment 1312326View attachment 1312327View attachment 1312328View attachment 1312329

Man that’s one heck of a garden!

BowSniper

Do u window ripen em? Or fried green maters?

I am curious too, as i have large tomatoes that are still green and just won't turn red so we haven't picked them yet. Worried that something is going to get them before they turn on us.

BowSniper

sportsman94

I pull them as soon as they break as well. Letting them turn fully on the vine is just asking for trouble at my house. We pulled our first tomato today. Have a row of jalapeños that we need to pick and turn into cowboy candy as soon as I find time. Bell peppers are ready to start making their way into recipes as needed. Planted a row of peanuts yesterday and may get some okra in the ground this week at some point

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I pull them as soon as they break as well. Letting them turn fully on the vine is just asking for trouble at my house. We pulled our first tomato today. Have a row of jalapeños that we need to pick and turn into cowboy candy as soon as I find time. Bell peppers are ready to start making their way into recipes as needed. Planted a row of peanuts yesterday and may get some okra in the ground this week at some point

That’s cool how you rotate plants. Hadn’t even considered doing that aside from hopefully some cold weather stuff this fall. Guessing it enables a lot more variety.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Got all the watermelons hoed yesterday evening. Also trying something with the corn. Sprayed spinosad on the sweet corn trying to keep earworms at a minimum this year.View attachment 1312587

I gotta admit, the main reason I have avoided watermelon was because I couldn’t figure how to keep the ground clean. Guessing that was a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Baroque Brass

Something is boring into my cucumbers. The vines are wilting and the cukes I’ve picked so far have had a worm. Lots of pollinators around so I hate to spray but I’d sure like some cukes. I’m tired of paying nearly a dollar for a cucumber thats not good.