Useles Billy's #4th Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Buddy does it with the carp he shoots, tills it in for the next years garden.

I do it with the trout, bluegill and crappie before I plant, just cover it up.

Also blood from thawed out meat.

"What makes the grass grow? Blood, blood, blood."

B. White

I think this is the 2nd slowest year I've ever seen for getting a mater to turn. I will pick one that is close in the next day or two, but only have a couple with some pink on them.

I need to save the seeds from this cherokee purple. Planted several the same age and had one with disease. The rest are just starting to take off. Not sure why this one is so healthy. Used compost after planting and rabbit manure once I saw a mater on them, but pretty much left them alone other than mulching with wood chips.

1687910207911.jpeg

1687910263561.jpeg

1687910286554.jpeg

Treated some other plants of other varieties the same, but they are all just about average.

1687910535956.jpeg

1687910557666.jpeg

I think dry weather and then wet all the time caused some issues. There were some that lower ones that looked like blossom end rot or just catfacing, but I put lime in the whole when planted and had eggshells in the compost, so I doubt blossom end rot. The later ones higher up show no signs of a problem.

Here is an example of getting poor seed. Planted a double row of ford hooks from Hoss and a had some Jackson Wonder from a local place. Ford hooks are doing fine, but the others was a waste of time with poor germination. I will get some, but they are thin and what is there is small.

1687910764498.jpeg

Few tobacco plants finally started growing

1687911194726.jpeg

WOODIE13

I think this is the 2nd slowest year I've ever seen for getting a mater to turn. I will pick one that is close in the next day or two, but only have a couple with some pink on them.

I need to save the seeds from this cherokee purple. Planted several the same age and had one with disease. The rest are just starting to take off. Not sure why this one is so healthy. Used compost after planting and rabbit manure once I saw a mater on them, but pretty much left them alone other than mulching with wood chips.

View attachment 1235761

View attachment 1235762

View attachment 1235763

Treated some other plants of other varieties the same, but they are all just about average.

View attachment 1235764

View attachment 1235765

I think dry weather and then wet all the time caused some issues. There were some that lower ones that looked like blossom end rot or just catfacing, but I put lime in the whole when planted and had eggshells in the compost, so I doubt blossom end rot. The later ones higher up show no signs of a problem.

Here is an example of getting poor seed. Planted a double row of ford hooks from Hoss and a had some Jackson Wonder from a local place. Ford hooks are doing fine, but the others was a waste of time with poor germination. I will get some, but they are thin and what is there is small.

View attachment 1235766

Few tobacco plants finally started growing

View attachment 1235767
My Mamaw would pick a few smaller green ones and fry them, plus pick some of the suckers off with no maters on them, it worked.

Try a tablespoon of bleach in a quart of water and put in a spray bottle and spray them for the rot/brown.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I think this is the 2nd slowest year I've ever seen for getting a mater to turn.
I’m glad you said that. I planted Parks Whoppers again this year (April 15) and just got the first one turning colors today. I was wondering if it was just mine or everyone else’s.

My peppers aren’t doing anything either. This time last year I was pickling banana peppers every other weekend and this year I haven’t had enough to even think about pickling.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have one partial red tomato so far. I have been able to pull about 6 bell peppers, but the banana peppers and jalapenos are just now blooming. Squash is coming in strong. Zuc is about to really take off. Getting 2 or 3 every other day now.

I picked a gallon of blue berries this evening and looked over the garden. I am really disappointed that the weeds have taken off since the rain. Hopefully it will be dry enough to run the tiller thru the garden Thursday afternoon

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Ol horn worms have arrived, et up 3 of my maters before I caught them. Been away from the garden for a few days. Heirloom tomatoes are really struggling with leaf spot, I cut all the affected leaves this morning and sprayed them with fungicide. Hybrid tomato’s are taking off, they struggled early on but are rebounding nicely. Summer arrived this week, it’s muggy but I’m hoping the sun will fix my struggling plants.

WOODIE13

And the 1st zucchini will be picked. I am happy just thinking of the future zucchini bread that’s coming.
Try pickling some with peppers, onions and garlic

WOODIE13

It’s in my plans. I’ve never grown any before myself but used to when I was a kid. The old man used to live for pickled zucchini and bread.
Yellow work too

WOODIE13

And squash cakes...oh my

Whitefeather

Management Material
Probably GON blanch and freeze the first helping of squash tomorrow. Been keeping up with them by giving them away and/or grilling them but probably got 12-15 in the fridge now. Grilled squash has just about become a staple in my summer time diet. It’s the only way I eat them

WOODIE13

Probably GON blanch and freeze the first helping of squash tomorrow. Been keeping up with them by giving them away and/or grilling them but probably got 12-15 in the fridge now. Grilled squash has just about become a staple in my summer time diet. It’s the only way I eat them
Us too, lil olive oil, spice

I like some squash boats too

WOODIE13

My Mamaw used to make fried squash, fried green maters and tater cakes, stand alone meal

WOODIE13

Got one of those spiralizers that make them into noodles too

Status
Not open for further replies.