my first trad kill

fountain

we were playing with amanda's photosmart thingy last night and going through some old pictures when i came across my first trad kill and i though i would share it with yall.

i got a bear kodiak magnum..green glass..45@28..when i was younger through a trade by thomas vann. i shot it off and on, when the mood struck. i practicede at night in our "bow room" and during the day on a deer i had placed under a big oak at our car shelter..i would practice stalking it and shooting from the ground in some brush. i had gotten pretty good out to about 20 yards and felt confident that i could kill a deer with it.

i had some full length 2117's ( that was the "traditional" arrow to us back then), fletched them up with 5" yellow and orange feathers and had a sharp 125 gr. buck pole patriot head. i had sharpened on that head the whole day before hunting with it the next morning! its a wonder there was any cutting edge left!

sunday, november 15 rolls around and my dad and i were hunting a large oak ridge in the swamp..the only big timber left on the place after clear cutting in the early 90's. he was hunting one one side of the road and i was on the other. a large trail ran from one side to the other..a big "feeding" trail the deer would use eating their way to bed. i was in a 10' ladder..wide open.

shortly after daylight i saw a deer coming from the old lake to my left feeding down the trail. since there ws no way to stand up on the ladder, i got ready for a sitting shot. the deer walked behind a big oak about 10 yards in front of me and i drew. when he stepped out i released a perfect arrow..quite possibly my best shot ever! hitting low and tight behind the sholder, the deer kicked and i could see the arrow exit the other side..seeming to stop in mid air and float to the ground. i was ecstatic!

i jumed down to go get daddy, but he was not in his stand and i could hear him talking. he was talking with a squirrel hunter on the adjoining property. i got a crazy look from the other guy toting a recurve, but i didnt care. i told them both what i had done and exactly how it all happened.

as we went back to trail my deer, we walked up on a big group of hogs. daddy shot one of the hogs and it lunged forward at the shot, hitting it way back..femoral artery. i chased it down and shot it with my recurve to finish it. as i was chasing the hog, i ran by my deer which only made it 40 yards from the stand.

fast forward 10 years and i killed my first deer with a longbow about 100 yards from the spot where i killed my first with a recurve...come to think of it almost all my trad kills have came from that general area.

here is my first trad kill
SCAN0026.jpg

hogdgz

Hey I remember you showing me that picture when I was at yalls house, cool man!!!

Last edited:

Barry Duggan

That's alright there TJ.

Al33

Great story TJ and great photo to go with it.:) Amazing how we can recall the details of our first deer. My first bow kill whitetail was in 1976 and I still recall it well.

Thanks for shring yours, I enjoyed the read.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Thanks for the story and pic.

Jake Allen

Good stuff TJ. Thanks for your story and that good picture!
I enjoyed both.

Necedah

Enjoyed the story and pic TJ!
Thanks for sharing.

Dave

fountain

yep, the spike killer was a bad bow! many birds and squirrels and a few rats fell to it.

chase i showed you the exact spot too..it was where i missed the squirrel that apparently was not afraid of us.

buckbacks..thats what i wanted to do to all the pics i posted in the bragging board..but dont know how yet. yours looks better!

that old jeep hauled out many, many critters