NEW LYMAN

deermaster13

My close friend surprised me out of the blue with this Lyman 54 caliber. He knew I been wanting one. Shot it some yesterday and still trying to get load it likes. Gonna shoot some more this week or this weekend. I'm definitely proud of that's for sure!!

Attachments

• HAWKEN 1.jpg
    HAWKEN 1.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 53
  • HAWKEN 2.jpg
    HAWKEN 2.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 53

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s a fine rifle. It’s definitely a meat getter.

deermaster13

Got the same rifle!
You are going to love it.
What twist is yours? Mine is 1 in 32 and shoots No Excuses bullets very well.
Also use real black powder.
I've not seen the twist on the barrel. I plan on trying some 3F in it this weekend. I thought I had 2F but can't find it. So far I've just used pyrodex

White Horse

You have a great rifle there. I have had the same rifle in .50 for many years and it has been a great smokepole.

Lyman does not make the Great Plains rifle any more, but Investarms has the same one except that it doesn’t say “Lyman.” Investarms and Pedersoli in Italy had been making them for Lyman for years.

snuffy

Lyman made a Great Planes Rifle with a 1 in 60" twist for round balls.
And a Great Planes Hunter with1 in 32" twist for conical bullets.

Mine is the hunter.

deermaster13

Couldn't wait till the weekend. Managed to get 4 shots at 50 yards and it seems to like 90 grains of 3F with a PRB. At least I feel like it is getting somewhere.

Attachments

• 20231003_191642.jpg
    20231003_191642.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 8

White Horse

Looks like yours shoots just like mine does, just a little high and to the right. I never have bothered to adjust the sights on mine. I tend to mess adjustments like that up. I’m a little ham fisted and clumsy. I just remember to do a little Kentucky windage.

deermaster13

Looks like yours shoots just like mine does, just a little high and to the right. I never have bothered to adjust the sights on mine. I tend to mess adjustments like that up. I’m a little ham fisted and clumsy. I just remember to do a little Kentucky windage.
Yeah I'm a little nervous about it, something about tapping on one of my guns with a hammer to move that front ramp over bothers me. Still gonna give it a go though. Definitely not going to bother the up/down. I was really surprised how much of a diffidence that 3F powder made in grouping. Sunday that thing was all over the place.

White Horse

I use only 3F any more. I also prime my flintlocks with 3F. The old timers didn’t carry priming horns loaded with 4F. That’s an idea that came during the muzzleloading revival in the early 20th Century.

snuffy

Just use a brass punch against your sight when you tap it and it
will be fine.

Zoomed the first picture up and see you have the Hunter also.
It is made to shoot conicals. But looks like a pretty good group
with the round balls.

If you want to try some conicals pm me your address and I will send you
a few No Excuses bullets.

Either way fine rifle

deermaster13

Just use a brass punch against your sight when you tap it and it
will be fine.

Zoomed the first picture up and see you have the Hunter also.
It is made to shoot conicals. But looks like a pretty good group
with the round balls.

If you want to try some conicals pm me your address and I will send you
a few No Excuses bullets.

Either way fine rifle
Appreciate that sir! I actually have some in my father in laws collection of black powder stuff. I have 4 different conical for the 54 and 50 caliber guns. I tried the maxi and mini in it last Sunday but actually did not try them with the 3F only Pyrodex. If time permits i may try some of them this weekend. I won;t be able to go opening weekend primitive weapon but will when i get back from winterizing our place in Cherokee. Hopefully update this again this weekend to see how it does after i adjust the sights.