New to GA coastal fishing - need advice

bcscasse

Hi all - NYC resident here, family just moved from NJ down to the St. Mary's area. Looking to get some fishing gear to keep there for when I go down to visit. I have some saltwater experience going for stripers/blues/fluke at the NJ shore, but always tag along with my friend who is the fisherman with all of the knowledge and gear.

As far as gear goes, looking for some help on what to get. I will be fishing the coastal waters of the St. Marys area from the shore (no boat). Would like to get two versatile rod/reel combo setups that I can use for different kinds of fish in the area and looking to spend ~$75-$100 on each. Can be two of the same or two different ones since the idea is to keep it versatile and I will be bringing my brother and father out. This is where my fishing knowledge stops. Have been looking on Gander's site but would like some advice on what I should be looking at as far as rod/reel type, length, action, line and bait/tackle go. We won't be picky on what we are going for, kind of a whatever is biting and will give us some action and a good time approach. Will be down in late November and in December for the holidays, how long are the reds around into the winter and what else is there this time of year?

Any help would be appreciated, be it generic types of what to get or recommendations of specific items. Thanks in advance!

gafshr

Redfish are here all year. Bass pro has combos like the Penn battle for around 100 that's pretty good. All you will need is a 2000 to 4000 size reel whatever your preference. You cant go wrong with doa shrimp or some type of paddle tail on a jig head. Skip gander mtn go to strike zone in jville they will help you and they have everything and some.

Sea dawg1978

This is not intended to be a smart ask remark at all, but if I were you I would want to get the full effect of enjoying what our coastal marshes has to offer and hire a guide. You can pretty much guarantee that you will catch fish, especially that time of year in the crooked river, and you wont have to worry about buying the equipment. Just my opinion. Good luck either way.