New to Georgia, where to hunt turkeys this year?

MissouriBoy

Hello everyone. As the name states, I am originally from Missouri, and hunting turkeys is a big deal for me. Long story short, my wife is active duty Air Force so we are stationed here at Warner Robins, arrived in October from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I've already done some bow hunting out on the base, and hunted Oaky Woods back in December. (actually saw my first black bear in the woods, I was pretty excited!) My question is this, for anyone familiar with this area, are there any turkeys either around the base, or Oaky Woods? I've done some scouting, drove down and explored Andersonville and scouted around Oaky Woods probably a half dozen times, yet I have not seen any turkey sign anywhere.
I'm ready to put the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag in the shoulder on a Georgia long-beard this Spring!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d say you are in a great area , Ocmulgee Wma would be a great choice also , most any piece of public land in Ga has turkey

MissouriBoy

Awesome thanks for the reply. I haven’t yet checked out Ocmulgee WMA, but after reading this I might head that way soon for some scouting.

Arrow3

You are definitely in a good area as I feel that part of the state has more turkeys then we do here in NE Georgia. If you ever find yourself around the Athens area I will tell you a place or two you can get on a bird . Good luck .

Arrow3

Oh yeah another thing. I've hunted Missouri , don't expect to hear anything like you're used to. I'm just happy to hear a bird a lot of mornings these days...

Gaswamp

yeah you got some good WMA's around you...if you need some help give me a holler

LEGHORN

That whole middle GA area has lots of birds. Was on a lease in Wilkinson County, it was turkey heaven. Like has been mentioned, many times these rascals here in GA are pretty tight-lipped.

MissouriBoy

That whole middle GA area has lots of birds. Was on a lease in Wilkinson County, it was turkey heaven. Like has been mentioned, many times these rascals here in GA are pretty tight-lipped.
Okay sounds like I will have a challenge this coming season! Is the reason they don’t gobble due to predators or just that it is warmer down here year round? In Missouri they typically start gobbling like crazy after the last cold snap.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Out of respect and consideration of those who have for years taken the time and effort to learn a specific WMA, if one is inclined to help the op, location information should be provided by PM, as has been offered, and not by disclosure on a public forum. Cyber scouting is prohibited in the Duck Forum and should be here. Gil

MissouriBoy

Out of respect and consideration of those who have for years taken the time and effort to learn a specific WMA, if one is inclined to help the op, location information should be provided by PM, as has been offered, and not by disclosure on a public forum. Cyber scouting is prohibited in the Duck Forum and should be here. Gil
Thanks for that info about cyber scouting. This is my first time being on a forum like this, and I have no social media so I’m not up on all the do’s and dont’s.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Here's a start: https://georgiawildlife.com/allwmas
There's an interactive map on each WMA that will show locations of all wma's in your area. The DNR also publishes reported kills on WMAs and county by county, public and private land. It's on the same page where turkey kills are reported by hunters. WMA kills are most likely underreported. Gil

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Within an hours drive of there are several good sized WMA’s with good turkey populations. Also look into piedmont NWR hunts in jones county for a little change of scenery

MissouriBoy

Within an hours drive of there are several good sized WMA’s with good turkey populations. Also look into piedmont NWR hunts in jones county for a little change of scenery
Thank you I will!

MissouriBoy

BASS1FUN

In the late 90’s I was in the Guard and later worked as a contractor and I knew some guys that would kill them on the huntable land on the base, I had permits to hunt but never did. You also have Beaverdam, Bond Swamp,Ocmulgee

MissouriBoy

In the late 90’s I was in the Guard and later worked as a contractor and I knew some guys that would kill them on the huntable land on the base, I had permits to hunt but never did. You also have Beaverdam, Bond Swamp,Ocmulgee
That’s encouraging news! I hike and run a lot out there, so I’m always keeping an eye out.