New to reloading and have some questions…

MtnBear

So a quick search shows me that the Barnes TTSX comes in a 168g flavor… that’s the same weight as my 168/9g smk…

Different tail on the bullets— but can I expect the bullets to behave similarly down range? (Strictly talking about accuracy and the trajectory of the bullet) is never hunt with the smk, just makes me uncomfortable.

The reviews on the 130g and 150g ttsx almost seem to good to be true. Definitely going to buy a box or two and try them out!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
What powder and primers would you use for the 150g Barnes ttsx in 300 win mag?

??
I use IMR 4831 and Federal 215 primers. But I am using a 300 Weatherby Mag not a 300 Winchester Mag. Although both of those work well in 300 Win also.
Slower burning powders, especially with 24" -26" barrels have always worked the best for me in cartridges that use 60 or more grains of powder.
IMR 4350,IMR 4831,Reloader 22 have been my Go-To powders.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
So a quick search shows me that the Barnes TTSX comes in a 168g flavor… that’s the same weight as my 168/9g smk…

Different tail on the bullets— but can I expect the bullets to behave similarly down range? (Strictly talking about accuracy and the trajectory of the bullet) is never hunt with the smk, just makes me uncomfortable.

The reviews on the 130g and 150g ttsx almost seem to good to be true. Definitely going to buy a box or two and try them out!
While many rifles shoot a variety of different bullet styles and weights well each rifle wil have a preference.
165gr (or whatever weight) will vary in design between the differnt manufacturers. You may have a rifle that is acuurate with a variety or just likes a few. It may shoot the match bullets into ine ragged hole and the same weight hunting bullet into a larger pattern. The absolute only way to tell is to try the bullets that interest you and use the ones you like.
Plus with copper being lighter than lead, a 168gr copper bullet will be longer than a 168gr lead bullet in order to reach a similar weight. Your seating depth and powder amount may/will vary due to the added length.

Last edited:

MtnBear

I use IMR 4831 and Federal 215 primers. But I am using a 300 Weatherby Mag not a 300 Winchester Mag. Although both of those work well in 300 Win also.
Slower burning powders, especially with 24" -26" barrels have always worked the best for me in cartridges that use 60 or more grains of powder.
IMR 4350,IMR 4831,Reloader 22 have been my Go-To powders.
I’ve got a 26in barrel with a 1:12 twist on my model 70 this is very helpful!

Thank you again!

MtnBear

While many rifles shoot a variety of different bullet styles and weights well each rifle wil have a preference.
165gr (or whatever weight) will vary in design between the differnt manufacturers. You may have a rifle that is acuurate with a variety or just likes a few. It may shoot the match bullets into ine ragged hole and the same weight hunting bullet into a larger pattern. The absolute only way to tell is to try the bullets that interest you and use the ones you like.
Plus with copper being lighter than lead, a 168gr copper bullet will be longer than a 168gr lead bullet in order to reach a similar weight. Your seating depth and powder amount may/will vary due to the added length.
Ok, understood, makes a lot of sense. So weight is less the issue and size/shape has great impact on the way it flys since the weight in this example is very similar or identical. So sounds like I’ll be buying a couple boxes of the 130g, 150g and 168g ttsx to see what my model 70 likes most.

Regarding powder I’m going to do the same with 4350 and 4831. (Assuming I can find either)

Thank you so much @bullethead

MtnBear

So this feels like a good point in the thread to break a few items down…

per the wisdom shared so far I’m going to buy a few boxes of Hornady Interlock 165g and 180g bullets to test and I’ll post the results later. I’ll also be buying a few boxes of 130g, 150g and 168g Barnes ttsx bullets to test and I’ll post the results. Finally I’m going to try and find some containers of IMR4831 and 4350 to compare with all 5 different bullets.

I’m giving up the ghost on trying to find a sister bullet to my 168g smk because the idea sounded better before the knowledge drop on this thread.

The jury is still out on primers because their have only been a few suggestions in that regard so far… but I hadn’t asked either so there you have it. I didn’t realize it was such a big part of the decision. But for now since I probably won’t be able to find any primers I’ve got 2 full boxes of Winchester magnum rifle primers and I’d love to hear thoughts on those primers please!

Thank you!

MtnBear

all the Barnes data listed are for 1:10, they may be too long for your 1:12. I wouldn't load up on them until your sure...the heavier may not work well
The concept of twist is lost on me. I hear the numbers and generally I understand that different twist rates are used to deliver different results. That’s where my knowledge stops. Is there a calculation or formula I can use to convert load data for 1:10 twist to 1:12 to see how they will differ?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The concept of twist is lost on me. I hear the numbers and generally I understand that different twist rates are used to deliver different results. That’s where my knowledge stops. Is there a calculation or formula I can use to convert load data for 1:10 twist to 1:12 to see how they will differ?
A 1:7 twist means a bullet spins one revolution in 7 inches.
A 1:12 = one revolution in 12 inches.

The bullet fired in a 1:7 would spin almost twice as much compared to one in a 1:12 barrel.

Generally faster twists shoot heavier bullets better because the faster twist spins the bullet faster and stabilizes it better.

Most times a 1:10 is used in factory sporter barrels in .30 cal. Especially whe chambered in cartridges that typically use heavier bullets. 1:12 are certainly used also but I would double check yours.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I didn't know they made a 300 Win Mag in 1:12

I use WLRM primers in my Win Mag loads. They tend to be a little hotter too and since you are filling up the case to get the 3,00+ fps it may help.

MtnBear

I use WLRM primers in my Win Mag loads. They tend to be a little hotter too and since you are filling up the case to get the 3,00+ fps it may help.
They don’t— I was mixing my info up. The 300win mag model 70 with 26in barrel is 1:10 twist.

Still not really sure what that means though.

MtnBear

A 1:7 twist means a bullet spins one revolution in 7 inches.
A 1:12 = one revolution in 12 inches.

The bullet fired in a 1:7 would spin almost twice as much compared to one in a 1:12 barrel.

Generally faster twists shoot heavier bullets better because the faster twist spins the bullet faster and stabilizes it better.

Most times a 1:10 is used in factory sporter barrels in .30 cal. Especially whe chambered in cartridges that typically use heavier bullets. 1:12 are certainly used also but I would double check yours.
Ok I’m following what twist means now. So my follow-up for me here is how does a 2 revolution different effect the way the bullet performs? Or that not getting at the heart of the topic?

Thanks again! Very appreciated!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Yeah, I remeber Remington using 1:12 in some of their .30cal/ .308 Win varmint rifles but I have not heard of factory 1:12 in magnum chamberings.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ok I’m following what twist means now. So my follow-up for me here is how does a 2 revolution different effect the way the bullet performs? Or that not getting at the heart of the topic?

Thanks again! Very appreciated!
It's all about stabilizing the bullet.
Like a football, a tight spiral flies farther and is more accurate than a ball that is wobbly. Longer bullets which have more bearing surface and are generally heavier require more spin to keep them stabilized. Your 1:10 will generally work with bullets from 110gr to 210gr. There are exceptions to every rule but a 1:10 in .30 cal is a jack of all trades.

Last edited: