No monster bucks killed but a hunt for the ages ! (continuing updates)

BluewaterFever

Big congrats Mr Jim for bring it together for his big brother Chuck and Al.

And, for the record, I knew you could pull the trigger. You were just waiting for the one that felt the best.
Self built beautiful custom rifle.
Own hand load and your first buck for you on YOUR place.
Many Congratulations all around.

Last edited:

ScottA

Are you sure your brother Chuck is 69 years old? I think he may need to show an I.D. He doesn't look a day over 45!

Jim Boyd

Are you sure your brother Chuck is 69 years old? I think he may need to show an I.D. He doesn't look a day over 45!

Vietnam vet - so yes, the age is right.

Just started hunting last year. Killed a few does off of our place and then his buck this year.

Really happy for him, great to be able to do something for the “older brother”!

Got some green patches going - he will be back before long to trim the herd some more!

Jim Boyd

Friday 21 October

I drop my 69 year old buddy Al off at foot of stand and head myself over to a green patch to spend a pleasant afternoon.

Got deer all about and the phone pings.

Al has his first buck EVER!!!! 155 lbs and in superior condition.

I chase the deer off at my stand to go help.

Then, while he is in a different stand this morning, a wide boy shows up at the stand he was hunting when he shot the buck!

Timing is everything!

Very happy for Al!
D4061339-7BF9-41B9-B23C-1B33EC7507F1.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Dang, Al is turnt into a real deer killer.

Smiling like a kid!

Love it!

Yes… yes, he has!!!

At age 69 and his frost two bucks ever - and within 2 days - is a wonderful occasion.

what is even more heartwarming is this - he remained in stand to direct me. It was about 200 yards and we wanted to get it right.

I could find no sign and resorted to grid search.

Al thought hope was lost cause it took a while.

When I took him over there and showed him the deer, he immediately held my hand and offered thanks to God.

Hard not to respect that!!!!!

B2F2EA5C-E073-4361-9EC3-BE95B41B2D35.jpeg

HughW2

Jim,
What is your buddy Al shooting? Looks like a pretty fancy rig. I haven’t been bit by the suppressor bug, but I can see their value for long range hunting.

Jim Boyd

Jim,
What is your buddy Al shooting? Looks like a pretty fancy rig. I haven’t been bit by the suppressor bug, but I can see their value for long range hunting.

Hugh,

IIRC it is a .308.

He and his son shoot long range and that is a fine rifle. Fancy stock, etc.

I have no interest in a suppressor but if he likes it, I love it for him!!

Jim Boyd

Chuck hunted this past weekend and did not shoot one.

Said he was waiting for a big one.

He had 18 in the field Wednesday night and then his sightings tapered off after that. I was In another stand nearby on that Wednesday and saw 10-12 but some of mine may have been ones that left his field.

He and my other brother will be back to shoot some meat deer in December.

Our club has a bid doe contest with a great prize so hopefully we will thin the herd a bit.

Zeiss Terra 10x42

9BBC51CE-6BFD-49C5-9AE3-D3CC440E2E5B.png