O/U Scope mount

Da Butcher

Has anyone used the over/under style scope mounts where you can use the iron sights or the scope? Any reason not to do this on a ML or any rifle for that matter?

If so, recommend a good type/brand. Thanks

SASS249

Never seen any brand of see thru mounts that would consistently hold a zero. Most of them I have seen also resulted in your head being held at a rather weird position to allow you to use the scope.

My opinion is that they are an all round bad idea. If you want to use a scope then get a good set of mounts, zero the scope and learn to shoot only with it. The times when there would be any reason to actually use the iron sights are seldom and in fumbling around to decide which set of sights to use you probably would miss your shot anyway.

deadend

A bad idea from the word go. Many an accurate rifle has been ruined over the years because of them. Just another gimmick.

olchevy

I wouldnt say gimick, however they do not hold a true zero like flush mounted mounts do, however my father has had his on his .30/30 for years with no problem, but I do second that about banging you eye it hurts, the weird angle just throws you off. Like on my rifle I put a fixed 4x30 power scope on my .30/06( not the scope pictured in my avatar but same rifle) just because it offered none of the headaches associated with adjustable scopes and gave me a super low,tight, easy to sholder set up. but to each his own