Ok my clover has red tops

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Imperial whitetail clover. Ok the tops are drying out. When good and brown do I mow it to scatter the seeds. And what else do I do like in the fall.
Thanks

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Just let Mother Nature do her work! The seeds will drop on their own and your Imperial Whitetail Institute perennial clover will just keep blooming and producing more seed, for a few more months.

Keep weeds and grasses under control.

If you find you have "thin" spots of clover, you may consider overseeding more in the fall, just in those areas.

Get ready for a fertilizer application in the fall. 200 pounds/acre of 0-20-20 if you can find it, otherwise 8-24-24 will be a good alternate.

Pray for rain, thru the summer.

This was my Durana perennial white clover reseeding itself in the fall.

Attachments

• Durana 11-10-18-1.jpg
    Durana 11-10-18-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What he said ^ and it's possible maybe your "red tops" are crimson clover? Even Pennington isn't perfect. I overseeded my clover last Fall with a 25 lb bag of Pennington Durana. Sure enough I got a small amount of crimson clover budding out in my Durana right now. Or, maybe the birds planted the crimson clover. :bounce:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
What he said ^ and it's possible maybe your "red tops" are crimson clover? Even Pennington isn't perfect. I overseeded my clover last Fall with a 25 lb bag of Pennington Durana. Sure enough I got a small amount of crimson clover budding out in my Durana right now. Or, maybe the birds planted the crimson clover. :bounce:
I’m just trying to be like y’all.

lildorris00

My crimson clover mostly has bloomed and is on the back end of red tops…is it safe to mow at this point or will that mess up the reseeding? I am new to clover management

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My crimson clover mostly has bloomed and is on the back end of red tops…is it safe to mow at this point or will that mess up the reseeding? I am new to clover management
I would wait. I think more toward the beginning of fall.
I have 2 plots. One I sprayed. The other I left natural. Will mow like end of bow season. Then over seed with wheat a little to see what happens.
I’m new too.

lildorris00

I would wait. I think more toward the beginning of fall.
I have 2 plots. One I sprayed. The other I left natural. Will mow like end of bow season. Then over seed with wheat a little to see what happens.
I’m new too.
So if you want your crimson to reseed, you basically leave it untouched until fall? Just trying to make sure I understand. Would you mow over the top of the clover to get rid of some of the taller stuff?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was told either way it would reseed mowed or not. I was told the weeds protected the clover some from the summer sun. Some use herbicide to kill weeds back. So I’m trying both ways to see what I line for my area.
I will put 0-20-20 about 200 pd to the acre in the fall.
If I mowed earlier it would be when the tops are good and brown.
I figured I planted it durning tge fall the year before. So I’d mow the same time so it would germinate then in cooler weather.

lildorris00

I was told either way it would reseed mowed or not. I was told the weeds protected the clover some from the summer sun. Some use herbicide to kill weeds back. So I’m trying both ways to see what I line for my area.
I will put 0-20-20 about 200 pd to the acre in the fall.
If I mowed earlier it would be when the tops are good and brown.
I figured I planted it durning tge fall the year before. So I’d mow the same time so it would germinate then in cooler weather.
Hmm. Sounds like a good plan to me

buckpasser

My crimson is pretty much played out now due to the heat. I’m not gonna push it, but I’m pretty sure there’s almost nothing I could do to prevent it from coming back again and again and again. That stuff is like Bermuda grass.

bilgerat

Senior
I’m gonna wait till late august or early September to mow my plot. The wheat ,oats , clover and Hairy vetch from last falls plot are seeding now , I over seeded with collard greens and black eyed peas a few weeks ago. I’m Hoping they come up and provide some good forage for late summer .may ploy.jpg

Last edited:

WishboneW

Might want to spray clethodim on that grass now.
Wheat will get tall and thick in the spring. You will need to mow often.

I quit planting wheat over my clover plots

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Might want to spray clethodim on that grass now.
Wheat will get tall and thick in the spring. You will need to mow often.

I quit planting wheat over my clover plots
I got some. But I watched a video where one fellow left the grass. Said it helped shade it in the heat of the summer. Come fall mow. He said September. I did it earlier. Said the frost would kill the rest. I’ll put some rye or wheat. Then spring time spray when it’s good and green. Then let grow up again. Just thought I would try it that way 1st.

WishboneW

Wheat oats and rye or any one of them will get tall in the spring. This will impact turkeys. If you want nesting and bugging that’d will do it. If not you will need to spray early and cut early, not necessarily good for turkeys