Old Chevy Gets Facelift -Pics

Redbow

The old '86 Chevy I started working on last summer is coming along nicely . I need to have the seat covered and a few small items to be addressed and she is road ready again !

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a forty dollar HVLP paint sprayer then to the local auto parts store and bought the paint ! It actually did not turn out too bad for a home paint job under less than ideal conditions ! I had to improvise with the bedsides, I cut off the rust on both rear panels and then bent some moulding to fit. The left bedside was rusted out below the gas tank lid, I fabricated a piece of metal to repair it after cutting off the rusty mess and with bondo I made the repair to hide the seams ! It came out very good for nothing but some metal and a hammer to make a new piece .

The paint is Acrylic Enamel, not hard to spray but it will run easily. Keep the paint gun moving fairly quickly and don't over do the overlapping of the paint and it won't run on you. I did have a couple of runs but I sanded then out and resprayed again. There are three coats of paint on the old truck ! I ordered lots of new parts for the old truck as well ! I hope she is good for another 24 years !

The old truck has a 350 engine with 34,000 miles on it, bought it new in the crate from GM about 9 years back. It has an Eldelbrock 4 barrel carb aluminum intake with duel exhausts and has ample power .

New parts include, new front fenders, gas tank, wheel welt moulding, new rear bumper , carpet, door panels, all new brakes including calipers and rotors with seals and bearings, new exhaust, rear tail light covers and assemblies, and new front side light covers . I scraped and ground all the rust I could see underneath the old truck and then applied undercoating . Also replaced the cab corners and the rocker panel on the drivers side, that was a project in itself but when I was finished the new panel fit perfectly ! I have around $1800 dollars in the old truck so far with the new parts and lots of time involved ! But its worth it to fix up the old Chevy ! Oh, new Good Year tires also !

Attachments

• Old Chevy 011.jpg
    Old Chevy 011.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 691
  • Old Chevy 002.jpg
    Old Chevy 002.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 694
  • Old Chevy 006.jpg
    Old Chevy 006.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:

Nugefan