Old Family Papers

jbogg

My father passed away at the end of last year and I was recently reading through some of his shoeboxes full of Old family deeds and such. I came across a hand written contract dated 1886 between my great great grandfather born in 1830 and one of his neighbors. Best I can tell he was giving his neighbor a seven year lease on some land in exchange for the neighbor building a stable, corn crib and fence on the property. I thought the detail describing how the fence and other structures were to be built was interesting. Simpler times, but that doesn’t sound all too bad these days.
6F3ED356-0420-4278-B2EE-BAB6DBE347C9.jpeg

Last edited:

westcobbdog

Cool stuff. I have been designated the holder of such items in my family and have 3-4 tubberware containers full of cool old stuff. Hoping my kids will hang on to this stuff and pass it down.

jbogg

Cool stuff. I have been designated the holder of such items in my family and have 3-4 tubberware containers full of cool old stuff. Hoping my kids will hang on to this stuff and pass it down.

I have framed a few of them in archival glass for display. The oldest document I have found was dated June 19th 1861, just two months after the beginning of the War of Northern Agression..

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
One of my 2G-Uncles who fought in the Late War of Northern Aggression was elected to County Ordinaly after returning home after the war. He got himself unelected at some point and decided to move to NC. When he left the Court House he took the reorded copy of the Marriage Bond for one of his grandfather's with him. I now have the document which is dated Feb 6, 1800.

1800 doesn't seem that long ago now that I have a few years on me but for perspective, when that bond was signed there were 16 States in the Union. Alabama & Mississippi had not yet joined so Georgia was on the Western boundry of the Country, John Adams was President. Thomas Jefferson was VP, the White House was not yet occupied and Congress (the 6th) had not yet ever convened in Washington. It would be close to four years until Lewis and Clark went west. The Grizzly Bear was only known to Americans through stories told be Indians.

Resica

My father passed away at the end of last year and I was recently reading through some of his shoeboxes full of Old family deeds and such. I came across a hand written contract dated 1886 between my great great grandfather born in 1830 and one of his neighbors. Best I can tell he was giving his neighbor a seven year lease on some land in exchange for the neighbor building a stable, corn crib and fence on the property. I thought the detail describing how the fence and other structures were to be built was interesting. Simpler times, but that doesn’t sound all too bad these days.
View attachment 1021408

Not only is it awesome but the handwriting is beautiful. Seems like most folks had great handwriting back then.

jbogg

One of my 2G-Uncles who fought in the Late War of Northern Aggression was elected to County Ordinaly after returning home after the war. He got himself unelected at some point and decided to move to NC. When he left the Court House he took the reorded copy of the Marriage Bond for one of his grandfather's with him. I now have the document which is dated Feb 6, 1800.

1800 doesn't seem that long ago now that I have a few years on me but for perspective, when that bond was signed there were 16 States in the Union. Alabama & Mississippi had not yet joined so Georgia was on the Western boundry of the Country, John Adams was President. Thomas Jefferson was VP, the White House was not yet occupied and Congress (the 6th) had not yet ever convened in Washington. It would be close to four years until Lewis and Clark went west. The Grizzly Bear was only known to Americans through stories told be Indians.

My father retired in his late 50s and became passionate about researching our families genealogy. Literally for 15 Years it was his favorite hobby. A few months after my mother passed my father was understandably depressed so I took him up to Tennessee for a long weekend where we traveled around the state looking for some of our ancestors final resting places. It was a great weekend, and there were lots of memories made, and photos taken. Below is the monument we found for my fifth great grandfather who served in the revolutionary war and as a result was granted over 2000 acres in Tennessee County North Carolina, which would become Dickson County Tennessee. I’m not sure who owns the property these days, but it looked like some sweet deer hunting ground.

21D56A0E-9083-492B-BC07-779560A4E197.jpeg

Last edited:

westcobbdog

Cool history and lineage jbogg. Daniel's final resting place looks to be as good as you could ask for. Wonder why the Captain took 19 year after the 1791 land grant to settle the land? Distance? Pretty cool that all his kids and their families followed him. Wonder where he fought the redcoats? Cowpens perhaps.