Old guys keep dying

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I was a kid, I always gravitated to hanging out with the old men. Learned a lot from it.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Kids now days could learn a thing or two if they were made to sit in the yard with their elders shucking corn and peas. Those were good times and we didn't even realize we were learning a thing or two.

Last edited:

crackerdave

And it makes me sad to think about. So much great stuff they had to share is fading away with them. I always gravitated to the oldest guy at deer camp, even when I was little. They always had the best stories, the funniest jokes, and could teach you dang near anything you wanted to know as long as you were willing to listen. The older I get, the closer I am to their age and fewer of them are around.
You struck a nerve!

I'm 71 now and don't find many youngsters willing to learn from their elders.They have a computer,therefore they know everything.

Most youngsters don't even know what a "cracker" is!

Last edited:

madsam

Funny you brought this up... just found out my lumber guy passed
away recently. I would go buy wood and we would talk for hours
about projects . He shared with me so many different aspects of
how not and how to when making projects,especially in making
furniture. I will proably never meet another with his knowledge.
We also would catch up on our families....Gonna miss my friend.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I had an interest in the old ways even as a young boy during the sixties. My father grew up in the shadows of the Snowbirds in WNC. He raised me the same way he was raised. I spent a lot of time with his brothers in those mountains. Back home in middle Georgia I spent a lot of time with our old black neighbor who showed me how to make cane syrup, plow with mules and introduce me to blacksmithing. I kept him supplied with squirrels and bream. In the late sixties and early seventies I spent my summers working with my mother’s brothers farming in South Georgia. Another way of living I was grateful to have. No matter where or when, I was around older men most of my childhood. I grew up in a rural area and had no boys to run around with so I grew accustomed to being around the older men.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Kids now days could learn a thing or two if they were made to sit in the yard with their elders shucking corn and peas. Those were good times and we didn't even realize we were learning a thing or two.
I’ve sat on the porch with my grandparents and did this many a days as a young child. And I really enjoyed it. And I couldn’t wait to eat those fresh picked vegetables. No cell phones, computers or other distractions during those days. I know times change, but not always for the better.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I was showing my three year old how I had to pull fodder off the dry corn stalks to feed the cows when I was his age. His daddy showed up a couple days later and he couldn’t wait to show his daddy about fodder.

Silver Britches

I sincerely hope that some of the young people remember the things I showed and talked to them about in all those school programs I did over the years.
How long ago has it been since you last did this, Nick? Okefenokee Joe came to our school at least twice back in the 80s. Enjoyed the heck out of him. Also remember some Gechee folk visiting us, and they were very interesting as well. They talked about the foods they ate and how they cooked them, and showed off tools they handmade. Cool stuff! I wonder if schools even allow such now. A shame if not.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How long ago has it been since you last did this, Nick? Okefenokee Joe came to our school at least twice back in the 80s. Enjoyed the heck out of him. Also remember some Gechee folk visiting us, and they were very interesting as well. They talked about the foods they ate and how they cooked them, and showed off tools they handmade. Cool stuff! I wonder if schools even allow such now. A shame if not.

I did it from around 92 up to around 2008 or so. I`d wear my regalia, usually full buckskins, my tomahawk, knives, flintlock rifle, all my gear, flint&steel, friction fire kit, furs and buckskins, flintknapping kit and stone, and I`d discuss how things were done pre 1840, and also do as many tasks as time would allow, then have a question and answer time. I`d make them a fire, knap an arrowhead, and let them pass a fur and buckskin around to get a feel for it. I`d always go into the importance of hunting, growing your own food, self sufficiency, and being responsible. It was always a lot of fun for all of us. I would always give the teacher the arrowhead I made at the end of the program.

I did almost give a young teacher a heart attack one time when I was walking down the hall to the class and turned the corner and we came face to face. It scared her pretty bad for a few seconds. She got over it. :)

Silver Britches

I did it from around 92 up to around 2008 or so. I`d wear my regalia, usually full buckskins, my tomahawk, knives, flintlock rifle, all my gear, flint&steel, friction fire kit, furs and buckskins, flintknapping kit and stone, and I`d discuss how things were done pre 1840, and also do as many tasks as time would allow, then have a question and answer time. I`d make them a fire, knap an arrowhead, and let them pass a fur and buckskin around to get a feel for it. I`d always go into the importance of hunting, growing your own food, self sufficiency, and being responsible. It was always a lot of fun for all of us. I would always give the teacher the arrowhead I made at the end of the program.

I did almost give a young teacher a heart attack one time when I was walking down the hall to the class and turned the corner and we came face to face. It scared her pretty bad for a few seconds. She got over it. :)
Great stuff! Sadly, I believe them big city schools miss out on good stuff like this.

:cheers: