Old guys keep dying

HermanMerman

And it makes me sad to think about. So much great stuff they had to share is fading away with them. I always gravitated to the oldest guy at deer camp, even when I was little. They always had the best stories, the funniest jokes, and could teach you dang near anything you wanted to know as long as you were willing to listen. The older I get, the closer I am to their age and fewer of them are around.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
And it makes me sad to think about. So much great stuff they had to share is fading away with them. I always gravitated to the oldest guy at deer camp, even when I was little. They always had the best stories, the funniest jokes, and could teach you dang near anything you wanted to know as long as you were willing to listen. The older I get, the closer I am to their age and fewer of them are around.
Seems like I’ve noticed that too!

B. White

I know where you are coming from. I was born the youngest child and both my parents were the youngest of their siblings. To put that in perspective, my oldest grandfather was born in the 1860s. Spent all my early years around a lot who were older than me, which is probably why I liked liked hunting with folks 20+ years older than me. I always had better conversations and interests closer to theirs than the ones of everyone my age. None of the original older folks I hunted with are left except for one and he hasn't been able to go in years.

Resica

I always wondered about my Grandfather's discussions with their fathers and grandfathers. I know a few stories my Georgia Grandfather heard about the civil war from his grandfather and his great uncle. Day to day life, I know very little about. Mundane things to them would be super interesting to me.

turkeykirk

It’s sad. Watching my father in law dying now. He was a good friend and we hunted a lot together over the years. Most of the older hunters have passed on. Hope the next generation is as knowledgeable as those guys.

Resica

Never heard of any hunting stories from my Grandfathers. I know my Ohio Grandfather used to hunt pheasants and my Georgia Grandfather hunted for sure, it was probably for supporting the family rather than pleasure though.

Big7

The Oracle
I know where you are coming from. I was born the youngest child and both my parents were the youngest of their siblings. To put that in perspective, my oldest grandfather was born in the 1860s. Spent all my early years around a lot who were older than me, which is probably why I liked liked hunting with folks 20+ years older than me. I always had better conversations and interests closer to theirs than the ones of everyone my age. None of the original older folks I hunted with are left except for one and he hasn't been able to go in years.
Me too.

My Great Grandfather was born in 1883 and passed in 1977. I was 14 and remember him well. He had good sense right till the end.
Buried in Jersey, Georgia.

Think about how many "firsts" people born then seen. He could tell you anything about the depression, both world wars, farming, the industrial age, you name it, he knew something, if not everything about it.

I still tend all my relatives graves. I recon all that will go to heck when I croak. :bounce:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I've always enjoyed talking to those much older folks, during hunting season or not. All have some interesting stories to tell, and probably most would love to share a story with you, if you spent a little time with them.

Big7

The Oracle
Another strange thing is a LOT, if not most of my old working friends and running buddys have passed on. Some even in the 20's, 30's and 40's.

The way I ran, it's a thousand wonders I'm still here and I did have a REAL close one in 2018 @ 55.

I promised my Mama I would do my best to out live her and not go prison while she was still alive. So far, I'm keeping both promises. :bounce:

Redbow

I remember well sitting around the heater in the old country store with my Grandpa and a bunch of other farmers when I was just a boy listening to those elderly men talking about everything from farming to castrating hogs. Oh the stories they could tell, those were the good ole days. All of those old gentlemen are long gone and most of the old country stores as well.

The last old country store that I remember seeing with a wood stove where the local men congregated was in Blenheim SC many years ago.

Baroque Brass

It wasn’t that long ago that even the most foul mouthed of men would clean it up in the presence of women and kids, as they should. Nowadays though, a lot of women use colorful language too. Colorful language has its place, but not in the presence of young kids. My grandson is in the fifth grade and is hearing words he’s never heard from his classmates. Sadly, the kids learn it at home.

Gaswamp

One of my most painful aging experiences is watching my friends die.
But it, so far, is better than the alternative.
looking forward to my alternative.