Old school cast iron.

Longhorn 16

O.K., I know it's been weeks, but it took me that long to find a battery for the camera, sorry. The first cast is a oleo from different sources, some Lodge, some Wagner, and some unknown and I use most of them. The trio was handed down to my paternal Great Grand Ma and Pa from their parents on the occasion of their nuptials in 1890's Shoot'n Creek North Carolina, how old they are I have NO idea, but I use them all the time especially my cornbread pan in the middle. The quilts are all the one's given to me by my maternal Grand Mother, except the last. The last was my "first" birthday present, finished just before my birth by my paternal Great Grand Ma. My Mom has a cedar chest full of her Mother's best work that she's saving for her Grand (and I mean GRAND) Daughter that I may never see. View attachment 942736View attachment 942738View attachment 942739View attachment 942740View attachment 942741View attachment 942742View attachment 942743View attachment 942744View attachment 942745View attachment 942746

Lots of love and care went into the collection you have! Congrats.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
As I said above, my Mom got this out just for this pic. My Grand Ma's last quilt. She busted a hip and went into hospice at 104, so I'm guessing she was around 100 when she did this one.100_2788.JPG

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I used mine on a glass cook top for a couple of years with no noticeable damage to the cook top. I hated the glass and got back to gas as quickly as I could. The heating elements in the glass cook top had a problem holding a temperature. It seemed that they were either on or off and tried to maintain a temp based on how long they stayed on.

Reactions: Dub

naildrvr

I have a few pieces that I'll share. Only 1 piece is Griswold (cornstick pan), a few Lodge pieces, and some unmarked stuff. Only 1 piece is from my Granny and the brown looking Dutch oven with the wrong lid came from my wife's Papa. We found it in his barn.
IMG_20180911_222900147-800x600.jpgIMG_20180911_224223395-800x600.jpgIMG_20180911_224923066-800x600.jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
OK...you folks finally got me off my haunches...ordered Baby Gurl a 12" Lodge skillet and and iron cover. Her birthday is next month...that should give me time to season it well for her and get her rolling on her way. Hope she likes the surprise!
GOOD LUCK!

Dub

OK...you folks finally got me off my haunches...ordered Baby Gurl a 12" Lodge skillet and and iron cover. Her birthday is next month...that should give me time to season it well for her and get her rolling her way. Hope she likes the surprise!

Awesome !!!!!

I'm sorta doing the same for my son....bought a Stargazer 10.5" last month and have been using it a great deal.

Starting to take on some character with the cooks. In another 30 years it ought to be ready to hand it over to him, lol.

New last month....

Today.....

GA1dad

Here’s a few of mine, also have a Dutch oven that came with a set a great friend of mine gave me for a wedding gift. That top right one is flat and was my Grandma’s. If I could have one more piece of hoe cake (fried biscuit) cooked by that woman my life would be complete. It is my prized possession from her. She taught me how to cook using cast iron and I make a pretty good buttermilk biscuit, but her biscuits and chicken and dumplings were famous.

I really like the look of that hanging rack,,, very tasteful!!!

HuntinJake_23

I picked up this little gem from goodwill for $10, 10inch lodge Dutch oven with the lid. It just had some surface rust on the outside bottom. Cleaned it up and re-seasoned and it’s ready to go. I have 3 other skillets as well.

Attachments

• 97CB3511-EA01-4588-8B32-B26964425202.jpeg
    97CB3511-EA01-4588-8B32-B26964425202.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 823BE3E6-FB3D-442C-AF4B-5A79F3DFAB8B.jpeg
    823BE3E6-FB3D-442C-AF4B-5A79F3DFAB8B.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 12
  • F7783E77-E468-4AA4-BEC5-7C315E58915A.png
    F7783E77-E468-4AA4-BEC5-7C315E58915A.png
    688.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 873C3D1A-573D-4FA2-B4A8-32C058EE7A7D.jpeg
    873C3D1A-573D-4FA2-B4A8-32C058EE7A7D.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 13

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Y'all be careful with those racks. Cast Iron is very hard but brittle and a pan can be broken by dropping it onto the floor. Those handles sticking out would worry me. At least I would turn them to the wall in an alternating pattern.

I have a rack that holds pans on edge so that they can't fall. I think it is a re-production of an old Griswold store display rack.

Dub

None of my cast iron is old-school.....but it's grown on me bigtime.

I've been using and abusing my Lodge 10" for 10+ years....grill, oven, stove to outside burner. It's been getting it done for me.

Added a really smooth-surfaced StarGazer skillet last year, thinking the smooth surface would be better for eggs and such. It works well.....but honestly the Lodge stuff works about as well for my needs and doesn't cost near as much. The handle on that StarGazer is too dang cumbersome and not real comfortable...in my paws or to my wife or son's little girlfriend.

That being said, I wanted something a little more user friendly for omelets.....which we eat quite often. Picked up a shallow 10" Lodge that we are eager to test out on some omelets.

Had one more cast iron need.....wanted something for bigger batch stuff....like chicken & such. This sucker will hold an entire bird and more....or a good sized batch of bacon. 15" Lodge skillet. Grabbed another one of their great brushes while I was at it.

Again.....none of mine were handed down. They are gonna be well used and taken care of and one day my son will get them and hopefully remember all the meals we had together over the years. Good stuff folks.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Hey Dub, by the time you hand them down they will be old school. That brush is OK but the cat's meow is the little square of chain mail that they sell. It is only rarely that I need anything but a spatula and a couple of paper towels on mine, though.

If I can, while the pan is still hot on the stove I will drain as much grease and stuff as possible from the pan then return it to the heat and add just enough water to cover the bottom. When the water hits the hot pan be ready for a violent & quick boil. Immediately turn the spatula upside down to form a good scraper and push it under all the stuck on stuff. It will immediately come free and dissolve in the water. Throw that out the back door, rinse with hot water, wipe with paper towel, and depending on how good your seasoning is on the pan put it back on the stove to dry or wipe it down with as little bacon drippings as you can then try to wipe that all gone. All of this should be done with the pan hot or as warm as you can stand it. Leave it on the stove till cool.

The stuff that you throw away can be much better used in gravies and sauces if you like. Look up deglazing a pan. The throwing away part was just for cleaning the pan.

Dub

Hey Dub, by the time you hand them down they will be old school. That brush is OK but the cat's meow is the little square of chain mail that they sell. It is only rarely that I need anything but a spatula and a couple of paper towels on mine, though.

If I can, while the pan is still hot on the stove I will drain as much grease and stuff as possible from the pan then return it to the heat and add just enough water to cover the bottom. When the water hits the hot pan be ready for a violent & quick boil. Immediately turn the spatula upside down to form a good scraper and push it under all the stuck on stuff. It will immediately come free and dissolve in the water. Throw that out the back door, rinse with hot water, wipe with paper towel, and depending on how good your seasoning is on the pan put it back on the stove to dry or wipe it down with as little bacon drippings as you can then try to wipe that all gone. All of this should be done with the pan hot or as warm as you can stand it. Leave it on the stove till cool.

The stuff that you throw away can be much better used in gravies and sauces if you like. Look up deglazing a pan. The throwing away part was just for cleaning the pan.

I've been using the brush after most every cook....along with hot water and a warm skillet.

Then wipe it dry...hit it with a little oil and call it good.

When the brush doesn't get it out is when I break out the chain mail. You are are spot-on...it'll get even stubborn stuff out with ease.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
One time try the hot skillet, cold water and spatula. You will likely be amazed at what happens. If you want to use the stuck stuff for a sauce substitute wine for water.

Artfuldodger

I have used a crumbled ball of tinfoil or one of those green/blue scrubbies. Salt and oil or water works good. I try not to use water but sometimes you have to. I think it's the soap that's bad, not water.

Just make sure you dry it quickly and oil it down a bit. My morning egg sticks a bit. I just put a little more oil in the pot and scrape it out after breakfast. The oil seems to break it up and the spatula lightly scrapes it loose. Then I wipe & clean it out with a paper towel.