Old Timey Sayings

TrailBlazer999

From my dad.

Whatever blows your skirt up. = whatever you want.

She'd stop an 8 day clock. = ugly woman.

I'll be all over you like a dirty shirt. = I'm gonna whup you.

She'll make you dizzy. = watching a fine figured woman walking away.

And when he'd ask me something and I'd start by saying "Well...", he'd tell me that was a deep subject.

hobbs27

Im wondering if anyone can tell me the root or the history of the southern word, " fixen" or as pronounced many times in north georgia " fisten" which means about to?

7 point

My Pastor uses this when he gets in A long winded sermon and is about out of time He says he dont have time to chase that rabbit right now.

7 point

My Daddy says this when he sees someone keep dropping thing with there hands ( grab it like you mean it don't be so clabber handed).

He would say on a hot summer day after work he would say (Man alive the bear bout got me today) referring to the heat.

Last edited:

Scrapy

Banned
Times got so hard"

I cooked some biscuit for my dog and laid them on the shelf.
Times got so hard I killed that dog and ate them biscuits myself.

StateOfBaker

Im wondering if anyone can tell me the root or the history of the southern word, " fixen" or as pronounced many times in north georgia " fisten" which means about to?

It's a pretty interesting term. "Fixing" is used pretty much like any other form of the the verb "to fix" (as in "fixing a car" or "fixing supper"). The word generally means to prepare, fasten, arrange, or make ready for use, but in Southern colloquial usage, it's always a) appended to another verb and b) conjugated in the progressive (..e.g. "I am fixing to... "or "He was fixing to..," but never "She fixed to..." ). So basically it just indicates that someone is making preparations to do some action in the immediate future.

jeffrey

"No one home but us chickens"

"Couldn't hit a barn from the inside"

"Chaps my hide"

"Prize it out"(pry it out)

Scrapy

Banned
My old aunt mailed me a recipe for turtle. She made sure to tell me that cooter was pronounced like "foot" .

Scrapy

Banned
It's a pretty interesting term. "Fixing" is used pretty much like any other form of the the verb "to fix" (as in "fixing a car" or "fixing supper"). The word generally means to prepare, fasten, arrange, or make ready for use, but in Southern colloquial usage, it's always a) appended to another verb and b) conjugated in the progressive (..e.g. "I am fixing to... "or "He was fixing to..," but never "She fixed to..." ). So basically it just indicates that someone is making preparations to do some action in the immediate future.

When my son was 12 I traded 2 bushels of oysters for a worn out 4 wheel drive diesel truck for him. For a solid year he was under that truck. I bought him tools and all the parts. One night I asked him what he was doing? He said he was "working on" his truck. I told him when he grew up that if he ever asked a mechanic what he was doing and he said "working on" to take the truck and go. The proper answer is "fixing" . He never forgot that. And it has served him well. You can "work on " something for ever. To "fix" has an expected outcome.

Texas Bill

He couldn't hit an elephant if it swallowed him- about a man that;s a bad shot

Slicker than owl sh--t!

Busier than a cathouse on nickel night!

Finer than frog hair split 4 ways!

Happier than a puppy with 2 peters!

and my Dad's favorite for when I had to do something I didn't want to do...

Tough times makes monkeys eat red peppers!

"Boy,you couldnt pour pee out of a boot with the directions wrote on the heel.". " A hard head makes a soft behind." " Boy, you weak as pullet pee" " If we were fishing for poop we wouldn't get a smell" "Boy you got 5 minutes to get your tail out that bed and 3 of thems done up."

Scrapy

Banned
"Salt of the Earth" circa 1860 1870. When salt was withheld and rewarded. By the Yanks.

Last edited:

bulldawgborn

That boy's so low a skeeter wouldn't bite him.

He aint got no do right in him.

He'd tell a lie where the truth'll fit.

Close enough for gubmint work.

Putcho brain in a hummingbird's butt and he'd fly backwards and suck a mule's nose for morning glory.

When I would ask my uncle what he thought, he'd say "I think all the meat around a hawg's butt is pork." or "I think a gnat could fly from the corner of a dawg's butt to the corner of your mouth before you can say shoo."

Tell ya mommernem Gomer says hay.

GA native

Whatever floats your boat.
Any port in a storm.

I ain't paying you to stand there and talk!
Just stand there and be pretty.
Hold on, I'm still figurin.
You look like two monkeys trying to .. a football.

Boy ain't got enough sense to get out of the rain.
That boy ain't right.
Snake in the grass.

You couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat. Patches O'houlihan, but it seems appropriate.