Older hunter looking to quota hunt lower Georgia

LTFDretired

In my Late 60’s and lifetime Ga Sportsman licenses holder looking to return back to Ga for a quota deer hunt. I have to drive from SW FL so I need recommendations on what WMA to apply for. I used to always hunt Paulding County back in the day but that is a far drive for me these days. Suggestions are appreciated.

Stroker

Piedmont NWR, but that may be a little out of your desired driving distance. Plenty of lodging and restaurants a short drive away. Good camping if you camp. Some real nice deer taken every year. Good interior road system and access.

LTFDretired

Piedmont NWR, but that may be a little out of your desired driving distance. Plenty of lodging and restaurants a short drive away. Good camping if you camp. Some real nice deer taken every year. Good interior road system and access.
Thanks! That is helpful. I have the tent and stuff. Hunting alone may be a challenge if I have to drag out a deer if I am lucky. I just have a standard equinox so not a lot of space for stuff.

Stroker

Thanks! That is helpful. I have the tent and stuff. Hunting alone may be a challenge if I have to drag out a deer if I am lucky. I just have a standard equinox so not a lot of space for stuff.
I hunt alone and use a harbor freight hand truck with the big tires and a couple of ratchet straps to roll mine out. Any plans for kill storage or processing?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
i can process my own deer. I have done that for years. Having a good cooler helps.

Hopefully you’ll have to deal with that situation! I’d consider taking a game bag and HD trash bag and be ready to process in the field....... Just carry out what you’re keeping.
I’ve gotten to where I’d rather process on the ground or tailgate than hanging one up. I hunt public land too and I promise you I’m not gonna drag one out. Good luck brother!

LTFDretired

I agree. On my old spot near Dallas GA I had to cross a stream 3 times before lugging it up the mountain ( i was a lot younger then ?) the cool stream helped as I already dressed out the innards. It cooled the deer down well. Then home and trimmed away. Now I have a yeti cooler that does hold stuff cold. A little salt with 2” of cold water. Deer parts wrapped in plastic did the trick for me. These days the seal-a-meal machine is awesome

Gbr5pb

What surprised me more was how did I get this old? My mind still thinks like a younger hunter. My body laughs at that
Me and my hunting buddy was on one of our cohutta week long seek and destroy missions back around 80 and talked to a older fellow at camp who was claiming he was retiring to South Georgia! Didn’t realize what he meant at the time! Haha don’t think they make enough meloxican and Tramadol to get back in some of them places now!