Omelets In A Bag

Oldstick

Anybody else tried this trick?

I saw it one day on the Pioneer Woman food show. Pretty nifty idea IMO, no muss, no fuss, no pans get dirtied in the making of this movie.

You just mix up your egg(s), maybe a pat of butter if you like, and any other ingredients you choose inside a zip lock bag. Then plop them in a pot of boiling water until they are as done as you want. Out pours a perfectly cooked and steaming hot omelet almost in the correct shape even. I used one of the cheaper sandwich sized bags (with a seal at the top) and it held up just fine with two eggs. I had added some chopped vidalia onion and they even got steamed just right in the cooking process.

They mentioned on the show to make up the bags and keep in the fridge for an easy breakfast treat with guests.

nkbigdog

Thanks OP! Seem you can teach an old man a new trick...I have never seen this done, so I went in a search for a video and watched...I have got to try this...Thanks!!

Oldstick

I don't mind warshing a pan....:)

I don't either. But for this alternative you don't have to even do that much work. Normal egg cooking you have to watch the pan closely to prevent over browning and sticking to the pan, unless that is what you want. This method, browning or sticking is impossible.

Oldstick

Yep! Something about heating plastic to that temp with food in it just doesn't seem right to me.

212 degrees and the cheap bag didn't melt, leak or stick to the food at all. If we ain't all dead after the last 60 years of teflon, nylon, rayon, etc then we might be OK for a little while longer. :)