One of my buddies!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Almost ran over a 4 footer today on Hwy. 118 between Smithville and Bronwood. I don’t normally see gators on that road.

There's a couple of 12 footers between the 118 bridge and Prison Road. Near about long as the Kinchafoonee is wide up through that stretch.

Mexican Squealer

Bout the only friends I got on my place..sure are pretty. This sandy road bisects my farm and they love to lay in the road in the evening. Out of hundreds of encounters I’m yet to see an aggressive one. See plenty stand their ground and open that cotton mouth but never have had one chase me or otherwise come at me. Banded water snake and some of their cousins will make you think they are going to eat you. Still unsettling to run crawfish traps and look down with one looking up at you….0779E150-48BE-49D0-9466-115ED7B6DB20.png

Baroque Brass

Bout the only friends I got on my place..sure are pretty. This sandy road bisects my farm and they love to lay in the road in the evening. Out of hundreds of encounters I’m yet to see an aggressive one. See plenty stand their ground and open that cotton mouth but never have had one chase me or otherwise come at me. Banded water snake and some of their cousins will make you think they are going to eat you. Still unsettling to run crawfish traps and look down with one looking up at you….View attachment 1307375
I saw a big one in the road last week. Figured he’d either move along or get mashed, when I came back by he was gone so I guess he wisely choose option one.

slow motion

Still don't see the critter, and that's not poison ivy. "Leaves of 3, let it be."

Apparently I wasn't the only 1 that got bit. There was a comment awhile back by @Nicodemus hunting in Africa. Several volunteered to be his gun bearer including his brother @The Original Rooster who even made a reference to Capstick's sidekick. Clearly evident you and I will never make the short list for that adventure.
Thought about this a few hours ago. Walking along a 6' wide gravel trail in Orono Maine and dang near stepped on a little garter snake. Didn't see it till he started taking off for the bushes.