One of the Best Gifts I've Ever Gotten

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, my mom passed away a few months ago, and my wife and I are in the process of moving into the old homeplace where I grew up and three generations of my family have lived. My grandpa built it with his own hands. I am trying to walk the line between making it my own, and respecting and honoring the past generations who have lived there. I want some things that belonged to my parents and grandparents to stay in there.

Yesterday, my niece (who I call my daughter that the stork brought to the wrong house, :) ) handed me a small package. When I opened it, I was overwhelmed. She had an original copy of my Mom's pound cake recipe, written out by hand by my mom, covered with pound cake ingredient stains. She took it and had it professionally mounted/framed/blocked for me to hang in the kitchen. I love it.

recipe.jpg

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
As some of you know, my mom passed away a few months ago, and my wife and I are in the process of moving into the old homeplace where I grew up and three generations of my family have lived. My grandpa built it with his own hands. I am trying to walk the line between making it my own, and respecting and honoring the past generations who have lived there. I want some things that belonged to my parents and grandparents to stay in there.

Yesterday, my niece (who I call my daughter that the stork brought to the wrong house, :) ) handed me a small package. When I opened it, I was overwhelmed. She had an original copy of my Mom's pound cake recipe, written out by hand by my mom, covered with pound cake ingredient stains. She took it and had it professionally mounted/framed/blocked for me to hang in the kitchen. I love it.

View attachment 1278611

Brother, I can relate wholeheartedly. That is a treasure in my book, no if's ands or buts.

As it relates to walking the line on making it your Own, I can guarantee yoy're would want yo to do that and she'd pround for doing so, in my opinion.

I think you know that I also am the 3rd generation to live in my Papaws house which my Mom grew up in and then bought out her sister and 2 brothers after taking care of my Mamaw that passed away in this home under my Mom and Dad's care.

Steve, there's things that I've done to make it my own and there's things I won't change at all, other than to repair/restore it some form or another to maintain it's History and preserve it the way it was.

I'm sure you'll be successful in doing so also. I know exactly where you are in that regard and am still doing after 7 years of residing in the home, dirt floor Cow and Hay Barn, Smokehouse, and old tin 2 car dirt floor garage. I did pour a cement slab in it back when my Mom and Dad were still with us, but Mamaw had already Passed.

I know you can and will do what it deserves, enjoy Sir.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Brother, I can relate wholeheartedly. That is a treasure in my book, no if's ands or buts.

As it relates to walking the line on making it your Own, I can guarantee yoy're would want yo to do that and she'd pround for doing so, in my opinion.

I think you know that I also am the 3rd generation to live in my Papaws house which my Mom grew up in and then bought out her sister and 2 brothers after taking care of my Mamaw that passed away in this home under my Mom and Dad's care.

Steve, there's things that I've done to make it my own and there's things I won't change at all, other than to repair/restore it some form or another to maintain it's History and preserve it the way it was.

I'm sure you'll be successful in doing so also. I know exactly where you are in that regard and am still doing after 7 years of residing in the home, dirt floor Cow and Hay Barn, Smokehouse, and old tin 2 car dirt floor garage. I did pour a cement slab in it back when my Mom and Dad were still with us, but Mamaw had already Passed.

I know you can and will do what it deserves, enjoy Sir.
:cheers:

Core Lokt

Very cool brother!

Do things that you and your wife want to the home and leave things like they are that you want. Remember, it's a different time now and you don't have to live like our old family folks did.

:cheers: :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool brother!

Do things that you and your wife want to the home and leave things like they are that you want. Remember, it's a different time now and you don't have to live like our old family folks did.

:cheers: :cheers:
Oh, I know. I just don't to wipe all traces of them out.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Hand written recipes just mean more. That's a great gift!
I had one of my Mama's favorite recipes and one of H22's Mama's favorite hand written recipes carved into a cutting board. I gave H22's Mama's to his sister and we both have them hanging in our kitchen.

Redbow

That is an awesome gift, I wish I had just one of my Grandma's recipe's. They all more than likely got thrown away when she died in 1964.

turkeykirk

Let us know how it turns out when you make one in the old “new” house. Bet your Mom will be looking over your shoulder. :biggrin3:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
OH, btw, when you make one of those, I am only a couple hours away.... hint, hint