Do You Always Salt Your Food

Jester896

Senior Clown
Tobasco has very little salt compared to some hot sauces.

Tabasco has 35mg per tsp where Texas Pete is at 90mg per tsp

if you don't get enough salt in your grits while cooking them you might as well throw them out.

I don't generally find the need to add salt at the table when home...but some of the stuff out I might have to do it to eat it.

I am a little hypertensive...but my sodium levels stay at or below the bottom end of the scale. If I drink too much water...I'm going to have cramps

I have to refill the salt shaker when I eat watermelon

Redbow

Soft drinks have quite a bit of sodium also. A 12 ounce pepsi 30mg. A 16 ounce pepsi, 40mg.

shdw633

I read about a man years ago that employed about one hundred people to help him run his business. Once a person applied for employment with his company he would take that person out to dinner if he was seriously considering hiring she or he. If that person applied salt to his or her food after their order made it to the table he would not hire them. What the man's reasoning behind that issue was I do not know and the article did not say. I guess the man would have hired me, maybe.

Ford did that. He would take an executive that he was considering hiring and if that individual salted his food before he tried it he would not hire them. The reason being is that the individual was making adjustments to something before seeing if it was really needed or necessary.

pjciii

I dont even salt Food while or prior to cooking. If it needs it they can salt their own. I use other spices to add flavor.

It is good on melons of all sorts. That is my personal preference.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Never once it hits the table. True story. When my wife and I got married we used to go to her grandmother's for Sunday lunch something regular. Great cook. We'd always be early and socialize while she cooked. I would literally sit and watch her dump a couple tablespoons of salt in whatever she was cooking. No sooner than we sat down and started serving ourselves, without fail, the first words out of her would be "Oh, y'all are gonna need to add some salt to that". And she would before she ever tasted it.

Finally broke my wife of the habit, at least when I'm cooking. I don't even add it to most of the things some have mentioned here. Vegetables and fruits I eat "plain" and most of the time potatoes, fried, mashed or otherwise are going to have ketchup or some other sauce or gravy on them that already have more than enough salt for my taste in it.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I have know several people over the years that used so much salt, it looked like it snowed on their food. I have seen them use 4 fingers held out over the their plate to 'feel the salt' because their eyes were in decline.

Wonder to this day if that salt caused their eyes such trouble? HBP will put a hurting on your eyesight.

Redbow

My Mom when she was cooking always had her salt box beside her stove. She didn't measure the salt she put in her food at all, she poured it in right out of the box. For some reason my Mom wanted to make everyone into a salt addict. But the old girl lived for 89 years so I don't think it ever hurt her or my stepdad he lived for 87 years. My FIL ought to have worked in a salt mine the way he ate salt, but he lived to be 92 plus six months.

zedex

Gator Bait
Certain things require the addition of salt. As Quack said, watermelon for sure. But I also like salted apple and oranges. Raw tomatoes, yes.

I'm.not worried about blood pressure and all that stuff. I drink, I smoke, I ride motorcycles at high speeds.... what difference does a little extra salt make??

Then, it occurred to me.... that extra salt, those fried foods, the whiskey, the cigarettes.... theres another thing these affect.... ED..

That's when I got to thinking... I certainly don't want that. So, I avoid the foods I add salt to. Reduced whiskey and smoking, still working on the smoking bit.

CroMagnum

Certain things require the addition of salt. As Quack said, watermelon for sure. But I also like salted apple and oranges. Raw tomatoes, yes.

I'm.not worried about blood pressure and all that stuff. I drink, I smoke, I ride motorcycles at high speeds.... what difference does a little extra salt make??

Then, it occurred to me.... that extra salt, those fried foods, the whiskey, the cigarettes.... theres another thing these affect.... ED..

That's when I got to thinking... I certainly don't want that. So, I avoid the foods I add salt to. Reduced whiskey and smoking, still working on the smoking bit.
:LOL:..."I certainly don't want that"

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't bought table salt in decades. I use Diamond Crystal kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt for sprinkling stuff like French fries and such. You can keep your iodide supplements. Most of the world's population over history have never had table salt, and they didn't die from goiters.

Salt RUINS watermelon, and makes it inedible and horrible tasting.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I never ever used Salt for the 1st 55 years of my life, couldn’t stand it on my tastebuds. It always seemed as if everything was already very salty to me. Now black pepper, I might as well take the top off of it.

I will say that in about the past 10 years I’ll sprinkle a litt salt on certain things, but not many and not much. Some things just require a little salt to me.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I gave up drinking soft drinks.

Coffee, water, sweet tea and beer is all I drink now. Oh, yeah sippin whiskey once in a while.
I cut out the sweet tea to. No processed sugar or salt. No food from a box and very few from a can. I have been drinking sugar free electrolyte drinks a good bit lately to

Stonewall 2

I will salt green beans and broccoli at the table lightly but love me some salty boiled peanuts! Hoping to boil some in the next week if I can get my hands on some.

Redbow

I will salt green beans and broccoli at the table lightly but love me some salty boiled peanuts! Hoping to boil some in the next week if I can get my hands on some.

I do love me some boiled peanuts I usually just eat the Peanut Patch brand out of the can cooked and processed in Effingham SC. I used to live about two miles from that plant. I do rinse the peanuts a couple times before I eat them to wash out a little of the salt but plenty is still left in there.. All the convenience stores around our area sell boiled peanuts, and yep, the Peanut Patch peanuts heated up to look like if you don't know better that they are freshly boiled right out of the ground. No they are not freshly boiled peanuts right out of the field.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Yes, and as other have stated I also sweat a lot. My blood pressure is always on the normal to low side.

Redbow

Yes, and as other have stated I also sweat a lot. My blood pressure is always on the normal to low side.

I sweat like a plow Mule in 95 degree heat and always have. But I still have high blood pressure but so did most of our family on my Mom's side. I guess sometimes its hereditary.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I sweat like a plow Mule in 95 degree heat and always have. But I still have high blood pressure but so did most of our family on my Mom's side. I guess sometimes its hereditary.
Odd how that is, my doctor put me on propananol (sp) for my essential tremors. It a blood pressure med, I had to check my BP 2 time a day the first few weeks to make sure it wasn't dropping to low.

Latest posts