Do you lock your doors?

Core Lokt

at your house or your vehicles?

I live in the woods. There is a public boat ramp at the end of my road. at the dead end I feel that I don't need to lock my home doors but my wife says different so we do when not at home. She locks them when I'm not home. In the 33 years I have live here nobody on this road has had an issue. Doesn't mean it can't happen I guess. I do not lock my truck, she locks her car at night. The few folk that live on my road know everyone and we communicate if something looks strange/different. Maybe I'm gullible but just don't see the need. Of course if I ever get broke into I guess it will change.

dslc6487

Better change your mind now......things ain't the same as they were 33 years ago......if the right person/people find out you are not locking everything tight and secure, they will take advantage of the opportunity and releave you of everything you own, even your life.
We don't like to admit it, but there are "mean" people out there and they will take advantage of you in a heart beat.......ask me how I know.....

Big7

The Oracle
Lock mine.

Parents never did when we were kids unless we went out of town on vacation.

Took a while to even find the key most of the time.

I lived in Conyers around 25 years until a few years ago. Had to lock up everything there. Even in the "good" subdivisions. I go there to a gun shop now and then, it's worse there every time I go.

I feel like a cotton ball in a coal pile.

Lilly001

In Ga I only lock if I’m away from the house.
In Fl I lock even if I’m home. I have digital locks on the doors in Fl so I don’t have to carry a key.

specialk

I dont CL, but i no longer leave anything of value in them either other than my truck with a box full of cheap tools and stuff...im 200 yds off the road and cant see any other houses and have never had a problem in 35+ years...

Redbow

I lock up my house and my vehicle every time I leave either one. I well know that if someone wants to enter my house or my truck they will, but I ain't giving them a free pass.

CamoClad

Yes, we lock our cars and doors at night and when we are not home. We have had meth heads come through and steal the change from our neighbors cars that were left unlocked.

Mauser

Used to never lock vehicles or the house. Now with almost daily drug and contraband drops close by at Calhoun state prison we do. We have to lock our farm trucks when in the field as well. They using our deer hunting land to fly drones to the prison last year. But other than the prison crap Our town has 0 crime. Worst thing ever was when they built it in the early 90s.

GeorgiaBob

I have experienced the full range of "lock rules." I grew up mostly in suburban Dallas, TX where we never locked the house, but occasionally did lock up the cars. My grandmother's very large home in a small east Texas town didn't even have door locks (but the barn DID!) I have lived in cities where everybody needed to lock everything - didn't like that.

Twenty years ago, living in rural Illinois, the only time I locked my car was at church. That was because I got tired of the church ladies leaving pastries, produce, and desserts in the back seat and not telling me. Even sweet corn begins to smell after a few days in a hot car. With the car locked they had to ask for the keys before gifting! In that community, people knocked and shouted a "Hello" as they walked into a neighbor's home. Nobody locked up. If you were away, you knew visitors had been in your home by the food left on the counter, returned tool, or the note they left.

Now, we lock our homes when we are not there. My wife does often lock the front door of our St Mary's home when she is there without me. I lock my car when it is in the driveway instead of the garage. We lock up our house in Liberty County when we leave, but nothing ever stays locked when we are there. In both cases, neighbors have keys in case there is a problem or they need something.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Where I am I shouldn’t have to but times have changed. Methheads have come through here a couple times running from the law. They hit the woods not realizing there’s a quiet neighborhood hid in the trees. I lock up and have cams.

BeerThirty

I am under the impression that if you don't lock the doors to your home, and someone invites themselves in unbeknownst to you, then you technically don't have any legal grounds to stand on if you retaliate with force.

However, probably darn near impossible to prove if a door was locked or not.

basshappy

BANNED
@Core Lokt consider making the change before you / your family becomes a victim.

If someone wants something and is motivated likely they will succeed. But that describes the very small percentage of thieves, burglars, etc. So you're just locking up so the overwhelming majority of stupid, lazy criminals move on to the next potential target.

As easy is it is to lock doors and windows I would be hating myself if I didn't lock up and my property wad entered and things were gone through and stolen. Doors are locked even when home. Although we have a motion alarm across driveway and backyard, cameras recording, and a nice little Dutch Shepherd who thrives on alerting us that someone unknown is around.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I remember something happening in one of the most isolated, out of the way, rural places in Georgia, in Seminole County back in the early 1970s. Yes, I keep our doors locked, even though I live out in the country.

Better safe than sorry.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
This includes some good information in keeping your home safe somewhat and it is VERY INEXPENSIVE. The following information is a long read indeed BUT it could also save your life one day.

Most everything that I own is heavily guarded in one way or another for many years now. I have lived alone since my wife of 31 years passed away back 17 years ago.

I've had to learn the hard way in the past as my vehicles have been broken into twice and the crooks damaged the interior and exterior of my truck. Also back many years ago, my daughters new bicycle was stolen from the carport area and it was never recovered.

Back many years ago, I installed several fairly inexpensive
wireless security devices made by Bunker Hill Security (bought them from Harbor Freight Tools when they had them on sale for about $10-$12 each). They STILL occasionally have these on sale from time to time and they are one of the very best bargains ever. Heck, even with the device and the batteries required, it still cost less than $25 for the complete working set-up and it surely works 24/7/365.

The sensor/transmitters are located outside all around my house and driveway and if it detects any kind of motion, I know it immediately if I am home. The receivers also have a volume control so that it can be adjusted so that it is NOT too loud and hurt your ears etc. The transmitting device will transmit up to 400 feet away to the receiver as these two piece units have "paired frequency" for operating the transmitter and receiver really well together. This feature makes it easier to use a second and even 3rd unit to transmit from another location etc so you know which area that something is moving about and shouldn't be.

Several years ago, I gave my Daughter and SIL a couple of these units and it has been helpful to them as well in protecting their home and property in Statesboro. I did the same for my dear lady friend and her family and they have worked great for her family as well. My ladyfriend lives out in the country and she also has several outbuildings and these relatively inexpensive devices offer some extra security as well.

Each unit includes a transmitter for my use outside and also a receiver that I keep inside my house. I fixed one of them somewhat camouflaged as it is pointed down the driveway and when I am home, I know every time that my mail carrier stops to put anything in my mailbox and also if anyone is coming into my yard.

I am home frequently so when this one alarms as the mail truck stops at my mailbox, I go get my mail immediately before anyone has any chance to possibly steal it. Another one of these sensors covers my backyard area and another of these sensors will also let me know when anybody walks into my yard as well. These units will pick up any movement such as animals or persons moving about.

Each unit includes a wireless transmitter and also a wireless receiver which can be located up to 400 feet away. Each total unit also requires one 9 volt battery and three size "C" batteries. This outdoor sensor can send a signal to the indoor receiver with a "chime sound" and the volume can easily be adjusted on the unit to perform best for your needs.

I've gotten accustomed to the sounds that I know immediately which transmitter is sending a message back to the proper receiver. This way, I know immediately where the area is that has any ongoing "action". Overall, this is one of the best inexpensive devices that I have ever seen as it lets me know immediately if something or somebody is moving around outside 24/7/365 on my property.

And for the records, ALL of my household doors are locked even when I am home and there are strategically located "fully loaded" firearms for my immediate protection if required.

Last edited:

Core Lokt

@Core Lokt consider making the change before you / your family becomes a victim.

If someone wants something and is motivated likely they will succeed. But that describes the very small percentage of thieves, burglars, etc. So you're just locking up so the overwhelming majority of stupid, lazy criminals move on to the next potential target.

As easy is it is to lock doors and windows I would be hating myself if I didn't lock up and my property wad entered and things were gone through and stolen. Doors are locked even when home. Although we have a motion alarm across driveway and backyard, cameras recording, and a nice little Dutch Shepherd who thrives on alerting us that someone unknown is around.
Oh our home is locked at night, when we aren't home and when the wife is home alone. Only thing I don't lock is my truck. Probably should start.

If someone wants to get in all they have to do is break a window or the glass on the double french doors. That would not go well for the prerson(s) if I'm home when that happens.