Do you lock your doors?

HermanMerman

There were two of us in a tin hunting shack on a river in the 80s. About 2am I hear the door open and somebody walk in. When he heard the hammer click he said I think I'm in the wrong place and shut the door behind him.

Nowadays I'm more concerned about the insane than I am the typical thief looking for something quick and easy.

If I’m at camp then it’s locked. You are right, no telling who might show up. But I’d rather leave it unlocked when we aren’t there than someone destroy the door just to get inside anyway. They’ll get away with some canned goods but not much else.

HughW2

This is the reason you lock your doors….and keep a firearm handy.
Law abiding home owner found this criminal in his basement at 2:00 am Thursday.IMG_0338.png

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I am under the impression that if you don't lock the doors to your home, and someone invites themselves in unbeknownst to you, then you technically don't have any legal grounds to stand on if you retaliate with force.

However, probably darn near impossible to prove if a door was locked or not.

The law regarding use of force has absolutely ZERO to do with anything being locked.

In fact, in Georgia deadly force can NOT be used against a property crime. There must be an imminent threat of death or grave injury to a PERSON before you mag dump on some fool...

Stealin' your chainsaw outta the shed (locked or unlocked) don't matter, and won't be defendable, if you shoot a tweeker...

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Had a 410 shotgun stolen from my truck at hunting camp once It was only 2 of us there.Never could prove it was him
He never got invited back.
Since then everything is locked like Ft.Knox

oldfella1962

If I’m at camp then it’s locked. You are right, no telling who might show up. But I’d rather leave it unlocked when we aren’t there than someone destroy the door just to get inside anyway. They’ll get away with some canned goods but not much else.
People in Alaska often keep hunting cabins unlocked for that same reason - in severe weather if somebody needs to get in, they are getting in one way or another. You can still bear proof them by putting plywood with big nails on the ground pointing upward in front of doors & windows. Obviously the bears can flip them over, but it works pretty well for black bears. Brown bears not so much. There are other ways to bear proof them of course.

DAVE

I don't worry about my vehicles or possessions I own except my life and the life of my family which I feel is my responsibility, if I am home the doors are locked and weapons are in easy reach. You don't want to wake up and find strangers standing over your bed or that your neck was just sliced. Your address will not protect you.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Yes. I lock my doors, vehicles, and everything else. I live back in the woods. No one around to see what happens. I am the first and last line of defense. Weve got a nice life that is the result of lots of hard work. I love my kids and wife. No one will hurt them or steal from us so long as I am around

huntersluck

The law regarding use of force has absolutely ZERO to do with anything being locked.

In fact, in Georgia deadly force can NOT be used against a property crime. There must be an imminent threat of death or grave injury to a PERSON before you mag dump on some fool...

Stealin' your chainsaw outta the shed (locked or unlocked) don't matter, and won't be defendable, if you shoot a tweeker...
Which imo is something about or justice system that makes no sense. I have always looked at it as if you don't want to get shot don't steal. I know the soft society we live in does not though.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Unless he comes at you swinging it, running or not

WOODIE13

All about articulating

WOODIE13

WOODIE13

Well, then you have yourself an imminent threat!!! :bounce:
Just mag dump in the face and chest, just let him turn right...fear for my life and stick to it

Redbow

When I was growing up we lived way back in the woods well off the highway. We never locked our doors back then and I can't remember anyone who did seven decades ago.

ditchdoc24

I was born and raised in Washington DC and I can remember my parents' house being burglarized on two separate occasions. That was part of my deciding to live in the country so I made my escape to Georgia as quick as I could. We didn't used to lock our doors at all but we started after our area started having problems with people sneaking around at night checking for unlocked cars in the driveway. Since then we lock our doors at night or when we're away from home. We also have large dogs who are in the yard during the day and inside the house at night. We've also installed Ring cameras on our house and my mother-in-law's house across the street. We've never had a problem but there's nothing wrong being prepared.

Jim Baker

Staff member
at your house or your vehicles?

I live in the woods. There is a public boat ramp at the end of my road. at the dead end I feel that I don't need to lock my home doors but my wife says different so we do when not at home. She locks them when I'm not home. In the 33 years I have live here nobody on this road has had an issue. Doesn't mean it can't happen I guess. I do not lock my truck, she locks her car at night. The few folk that live on my road know everyone and we communicate if something looks strange/different. Maybe I'm gullible but just don't see the need. Of course if I ever get broke into I guess it will change.
I didn't even take the keys out of my truck until my truck was stolen out of my fenced in back yard with a locking gate opener. the thieves opened the emergency gate and drove the truck out it all the while the remote to the electric gate was on the visor of my truck.

I had a tree surgeon take down some trees a few weeks before. They used the emergency gate to access the backyard to haul off debris.

The emergency gate as I call it was put in to be sure my wife could get out if the the electric gate failed to operate. It was built so you couldn't tell it existed. Double cross bars.

I am sure that some of that tree crew were the thieves. Got the truck back 3 days later, skint up but operable. Sheriff's deputy found it drove off road into a thicket. Out of gas. They fingerprinted the truck but nothing ever came of it.

Never had a problem before in 35 years of living here. Long story short, yes we lock every things up.

HughW2

Kids walking around at night just testing car doors to see if they are locked seems to be a big trend. Unfortunately they are probably looking to steal in order to fund drug habits. Cash, guns, cell phones and laptops seems to be the primary objective. I used to rarely lock my car; because I never left anything of value in it. Having to adapt to new reality. I thought I lived in a nice neighborhood. Thugs are everywhere now.