One of the Best Gifts I've Ever Gotten

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
OH, btw, when you make one of those, I am only a couple hours away.... hint, hint
Mama also used to make those and swirl cherry Kool-aid slurry through the batter. They were so good.

GeorgiaBob

My 41 year old daughter has my Mom's recipe card box (a 1940s tin box sized to hold 3"X5" index cards). A few months after I gave it to her in 2015 after my Mom passed away, my daughter found a folded up recipe inside that came from my Mom's great aunt. We looked through the little box, and a folder of additional recipes from Mom, and found a few recipes from my dad's Mom.

So I added my saltza recipe and my daughter added some of her own. My grandkids added their own faves to the little box. My daughter now has a recipe box with recipes from 6 generations of family. That would be really great - except my daughter is a terrible cook!:eek2:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My wife’s mom died young, in her 50’s. My FIL did one of the most thoughtful things I ever saw. He assembled a cook book for each child. Each book having family staples and a few favorite recipes that child. The cook book contains the recipe cards hand written by their mother. It’s a treasure in our home.IMG_1755.jpegIMG_1758.jpegof

Dr. Strangelove

That's awesome. I have all my grandmother's and her mother's cast iron because no one else wanted it but neither one ever wrote anything down. It was always just "you know how much to use", lol.

I sure wish I had her grape jelly recipe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome. I have all my grandmother's and her mother's cast iron because no one else wanted it but neither one ever wrote anything down. It was always just "you know how much to use", lol.

I sure wish I had her grape jelly recipe.
I have a lot of treasured family cast iron that I still use almost daily, including two pieces that date back to my great-grandmother.

basstrkr

As some of you know, my mom passed away a few months ago, and my wife and I are in the process of moving into the old homeplace where I grew up and three generations of my family have lived. My grandpa built it with his own hands. I am trying to walk the line between making it my own, and respecting and honoring the past generations who have lived there. I want some things that belonged to my parents and grandparents to stay in there.

Yesterday, my niece (who I call my daughter that the stork brought to the wrong house, :) ) handed me a small package. When I opened it, I was overwhelmed. She had an original copy of my Mom's pound cake recipe, written out by hand by my mom, covered with pound cake ingredient stains. She took it and had it professionally mounted/framed/blocked for me to hang in the kitchen. I love it.

View attachment 1278611
So precious.
When I ran across my Mom's stainless cake pans I got very lump throated.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Very nice ! My grandmother baked me a pound cake for my birthday every year until she passed !

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing that first pound cake in the Cafe forum. ;) :rockon:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing that first pound cake in the Cafe forum. ;) :rockon:
Not the same recipe, but I'm long past the first few in there: :bounce:

wvdawg

Staff member
Enjoy the memories, but make sure you put some new ones in there for the next generation that follows. Good stuff!

whitetailfreak

That's pretty cool Steve, and any recipe that starts with 2 sticks of butter is gon be good! We have a Laney family cookbook that stretches back several generations but nothing handwritten that's been preserved. I think that has motivated me to ask mamaw to write out her chicken and dumplings recipe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty cool Steve, and any recipe that starts with 2 sticks of butter is gon be good! We have a Laney family cookbook that stretches back several generations but nothing handwritten that's been preserved. I think that has motivated me to ask mamaw to write out her chicken and dumplings recipe.
Yep, you need to do that for sure.