Opinion on 75 acres

ugajay

My dad and I have 75 acres in Middle ga. A tornado destroyed 55 acres of 60 year old hardwoods 3 years ago. After the tornado what timber could be salvaged was. It's incredibly thick. Last year we had a man with a bulldozer push us out a food plot about 200 yards long and 20 yards wide. My dad's thought is he wants to just concentrate on that one food plot and not put any other stands up. His thought is concentrate the feed on that one spot. I just don't like sitting in the same spot all the time. Where the food plot area is, is in the middle of the whole property. There's a field on each side of this food plot. To the west about 200 yards, to the east about 300 yards. Both fields have great places for stands. The only thing is I don't want to mess up my dad. If it was just me I would plant all 3. I may think a buck will pattern us faster than we will pattern him. He will be the one hunting 90% of the time. If it matters he's 70 and I'm 37! Thanks for the responses!

Big7

The Oracle
Depends on a lot of things- mostly the surrounding properties.

My general thought on a relatively small tract is to put the food in one spot, hopefully in the middle of your property so you can hunt the trails coming in and still sit for the longer shots if they don't go nocturnal on you.
They have a tendency to mow down their "favorite" if they have more than one choice.

They will show up out in the open if they are not pressured a lot- at least early in the season.

I wish I had listened to my Daddy a little more. :bounce:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Let Pops run the show and u figure out the rest
Most likely This probably, and like @Big7 mentioned, hunt the trails to and from. If it’s ALL clear cut type thick, you may need some ground relief, perhaps a sprayer full of roundup Til y’all burn it.
You said your Dad and I have. Is it his place or y’all’s together? As much as I’d like to let pops run the show, I’m kind of the stubborn son. And if y’all own it together, He should allow your ideas to have merit too. 75 acres isn’t a whole lot, but it is also an awful lot of hunting area! 1 plot in the middle doesn’t sound like enough to me. Got water out there? I’d have a watering hole too.

GeorgiaGlockMan

My dad and I have 75 acres in Middle ga. A tornado destroyed 55 acres of 60 year old hardwoods 3 years ago. After the tornado what timber could be salvaged was. It's incredibly thick. Last year we had a man with a bulldozer push us out a food plot about 200 yards long and 20 yards wide. My dad's thought is he wants to just concentrate on that one food plot and not put any other stands up. His thought is concentrate the feed on that one spot. I just don't like sitting in the same spot all the time. Where the food plot area is, is in the middle of the whole property. There's a field on each side of this food plot. To the west about 200 yards, to the east about 300 yards. Both fields have great places for stands. The only thing is I don't want to mess up my dad. If it was just me I would plant all 3. I may think a buck will pattern us faster than we will pattern him. He will be the one hunting 90% of the time. If it matters he's 70 and I'm 37! Thanks for the responses!
Hunt it your pop's way with him as long as you can.

ugajay

Most likely This probably, and like @Big7 mentioned, hunt the trails to and from. If it’s ALL clear cut type thick, you may need some ground relief, perhaps a sprayer full of roundup Til y’all burn it.
You said your Dad and I have. Is it his place or y’all’s together? As much as I’d like to let pops run the show, I’m kind of the stubborn son. And if y’all own it together, He should allow your ideas to have merit too. 75 acres isn’t a whole lot, but it is also an awful lot of hunting area! 1 plot in the middle doesn’t sound like enough to me. Got water out there? I’d have a watering hole too.
I own 31.75 acres and he owns land on both sides so he's majority owner so I guess I have to do what he says haha.

WaltL1

As someone else mentioned, let him hunt the food plot and you hunt the trails etc that go to the food plot. Both of you get your way.
In the future, having hunted with him will be far more important than who sat where.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
From the perspective of a 75 year old, I think you have had some good advice and have made a great decision. Any hunting past 70 is a blessing and can't be counted on to last. Life expectancy for a man in the US is now 73 years. I know that since he has made it to 70 he should make it beyond 73 but our last years are usually full of the sort of trouble that gets in the way of hunting.

Good luck to both of you.

ugajay

From the perspective of a 75 year old, I think you have had some good advice and have made a great decision. Any hunting past 70 is a blessing and can't be counted on to last. Life expectancy for a man in the US is now 73 years. I know that since he has made it to 70 he should make it beyond 73 but our last years are usually full of the sort of trouble that gets in the way of hunting.

Good luck to both of you.
Thank you sir and good luck to you as well!

slow motion

Congratulations on being able to hunt with your Dad. From a man with two grown sons I'll say he wants you to be happy as well. Put up another stand ot 2. You don't have to plant the 2 other fields for deer to frequent them. Old fallow fields and old grownup homesteads can be great areas to hunt. Good luck.

Goon

Every time that i didn't listen to daddy i ended up wishing that i had