Here's an odd question

TJay

There is a food plot on our lease that I like to hunt that is long and narrow, probably 15 yards or so wide and about 160 yards long. It lays east to west so it gets plenty of sunlight and usually comes up good but by November it's just about covered with pine straw and leaves. I've often thought I ought to get my blower and blow it off to get more sunlight to it but I never did. Anyone ever done anything like that?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
There is a food plot on our lease that I like to hunt that is long and narrow, probably 15 yards or so wide and about 160 yards long. It lays east to west so it gets plenty of sunlight and usually comes up good but by November it's just about covered with pine straw and leaves. I've often thought I ought to get my blower and blow it off to get more sunlight to it but I never did. Anyone ever done anything like that?

I believe it would help.
You are evidently in good shape for someone our age if you’re considering doing it yourself.
I would need to use a mower.

TJay

I believe it would help.
You are evidently in good shape for someone our age if you’re considering doing it yourself.
I would need to use a mower.
I know right? It's not like something I would look forward to doing considering my aversion to manual labor :sleep: and all the noise in a hunting area but if I could catch a day with a good north wind it probably wouldn't take too much time.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I know right? It's not like something I would look forward to doing considering my aversion to manual labor :sleep: and all the noise in a hunting area but if I could catch a day with a good north wind it probably wouldn't take too much time.
If you could make friends with the big bad wolf it would be easier to get it done. If you’ve got any piggies or grandmas close by you better shut them up before hand.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What I need is a grandson who is not to busy with sports and girls to come help his rickety ol' grandpa out. :biggrin2:

I have one grandson that isnt tied up with that yet. He turns 3 later this month. ;)
The 7-, 14-, 18-, and 20-year-old grandsons fit the description you give.

davel

I watched them do that on a video before a prescribed burn. It blew all the leaves and pine straw away so it should work.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bad part about that is "walk behind". I need something self propelled or better yet one that is 3 pt or SSQA for the tractor.

Strap that sucker down on a 3 point hitch carryall.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Funny you should mention that and yeah I'm late on the trigger but yes blowing it off is the trick.

All of my plots are in "the woods" with trees all around the perimeter so I get a mix of leaves and pine needles in mine as well as a land office supply of deer and rabbit scat.

I usually blow all of my clover food plots around the first of February then hit them with lime and 0-20-20. It makes a big difference.

If you're planting annuals like cereal grains, etc. it's not going to hurt your deer hunting to take a day in November to blow it out but I would suggest you get a stout blower to do the job. I use a Stihl BR 600. It's the most popular one for landscape crews.

But if you want to get it done fast the BR 800 C-E Magnum is you. :bounce: