Thoughts and suggestions: Building Shooting Platform / Deer Stand

Jim Boyd

Jim, are your poles creosote or CCA treated?

Nic

Creosote I think - but they are older.

These are ones the power company took down and I scavenged them.

Maybe I should photograph them and get your expert opinion.

Forgot you were a lineman or in that line of work!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic

Creosote I think - but they are older.

These are ones the power company took down and I scavenged them.

Maybe I should photograph them and get your expert opinion.

Forgot you were a lineman or in that line of work!!!

If older they probably are creosote treated. I wouldn`t set them in concrete. I would dig 3 1/2 foot deep holes, put 6 inches of crushed stone or gravel in the bottom of each hole, Paint the butt and up the sides of each pole to ground level with blackjack roofing tar, set the poles, and tamp them good. They won`t go anywhere and will be there when your Grandchildren get old.

Jim Boyd

If older they probably are creosote treated. I wouldn`t set them in concrete. I would dig 3 1/2 foot deep holes, put 6 inches of crushed stone or gravel in the bottom of each hole, Paint the butt and up the sides of each pole to ground level with blackjack roofing tar, set the poles, and tamp them good. They won`t go anywhere and will be there when your Grandchildren get old.

Exactly the kind of instructions I need - thanks!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Jim after reading your comments I don’t think I have anything to add , besides I nice recliner ! Can’t wait to see this project transform into a condo in the woods !

Jim Boyd

Jim after reading your comments I don’t think I have anything to add , besides I nice recliner ! Can’t wait to see this project transform into a condo in the woods !

Thanks sir!

Likely not a recliner but an adjustable height office chair may be in order.

I have often struggled with the chair and bench height when shooting.

The bench will be rigid and fixed and will try to research best case bench height.

Appreciate ya!

Jim Boyd

Yessir I saw that also. Ingenious!!!

I really question, however, the rigidity of it.

I am gonna try to make something that is very rigid and am already challenged by the fact that it is an elevated platform.

Trying not to “stack” challenges.

Jim Boyd

I'm thinking attached to 2 of the outside walls so you get the strength of the corner in addition to the joists. Essentially getting the strength of 3 angles.

Agreed.

Likely with diagonal braces back to floor

Strength, from an engineering standpoint, comes from triangles. Even non-equilateral triangles work well.

Measure twice and cut once!

Jim Boyd

After a while shooting from the bench. Try free handed out to them ranges. Have fun. I like milk jugs with water.

I have never shot at distance.

I gotta stick with the bench!!! At least for the first 20 years or so…..

Oh wait…. I ain’t got 20 years….

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Agreed.

Likely with diagonal braces back to floor

Strength, from an engineering standpoint, comes from triangles. Even non-equilateral triangles work well.

Measure twice and cut once!
After u sink them poles like Nic said. U could add dirt around them easy. Like a mound about 4’ around. Talk about stable.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have never shot at distance.

I gotta stick with the bench!!! At least for the first 20 years or so…..

Oh wait…. I ain’t got 20 years….
U can do it. Lols. Be surprised. I would have a little 22 range there also. Bench and free hand out to 50ty.

Jim Boyd

After u sink them poles like Nic said. U could add dirt around them easy. Like a mound about 4’ around. Talk about stable.

I looked last weekend at the poles and they don’t look that happy.

I will cut one in half and see what the interior looks like.

They are of varying age..,,

Jim Boyd

U can do it. Lols. Be surprised. I would have a little 22 range there also. Bench and free hand out to 50ty.

I think it is about 50 yards across the powerline so that would be easy.

We shoot .17’s so that will be a hoot.

Deernut3

The last one I built I prefabbed everything in the shop (floor,walls,roof) and took a part and assembled on top of the post. I did tack braces on the floor and roof to hold square and sheeted them in place due to weight. I sheeted the walls and cut out the windows before assembling in the air. I think I nailed cleats to the post to set the floor on and leveled off of them.

Jim Boyd

The last one I built I prefabbed everything in the shop (floor,walls,roof) and took a part and assembled on top of the post. I did tack braces on the floor and roof to hold square and sheeted them in place due to weight. I sheeted the walls and cut out the windows before assembling in the air. I think I nailed cleats to the post to set the floor on and leveled off of them.

The only thing that I am worse at than deer hunting, is being a carpenter. That said, we all know I’m in trouble!