Thoughts and suggestions: Building Shooting Platform / Deer Stand

Jim Boyd

Calling all carpenters and structural building experts!!!

Doing property work to open up 500 yard lane.

Want to build a rock solid platform that is 80% shooting platform / house and 20% deer stand.

I have a powerline across my place and a long thin food plot that we recently mechanically widened with mulcher.

Using the mulcher, I opened a spot on south side of power line and the platform will be under some pines for shade. Facing north, the sun will be behind the stand and not in our eyes.

At the other end of the lane, I cut a rectangular opening about 20 yards into the woods to make the 500.

There is a slight rise and then fall of the earth as you look north so platform needs to be elevated.

I am thinking:

- it must be bone solid
- either 8’ wide x 6’ deep or even 8x8
- use 5 telephone poles set in concrete 3-4’ in ground, one on each corner and one off center, slight to right
- off center post in center, under a right hand shooter, will allow a wire rope and tensioner X system under the platform, about 2’ below the platform
- x brace all outer poles
- 2x8 joist system with 5/4 floor
- Integral ambidextrous bench tied to truss system
- not sure about chairs
- stairs coming up 8’ on the back of the platform with left and right handrails. Steps should be 4-5’ wide
- verticals at all 4 corners with left and right mid verticals and verticals either side of stairs. No verticals on front.
- Roof @ 6’8” at front and 6’4” at rear with a green panel roof.
- rifle leaning rack
- walls at xx ” tall?
- bench at xx “ tall?

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Spotting scope mount?

Chrono mount?

Dimensions?

Chairs or bench arrangement? For shooting and perhaps for viewing?

Berms at 100 yd intervals?

Signage on dirt road along western boundary when we are shooting?

What am I not considering?

Appreciate all thoughts - blank canvas, nothing written in stone yet.

Lane in center of pic.

Also - super easy to shoot deer on power line and north on long plot. Both get planted annually.

IMG_4422.png

Jim Boyd

Target area at other end - likely drop the single pine.

IMG_4393.jpeg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Leave off that center post thingamabob and enclose the bottom for parking an atv under it.
You will thank me in a few years.

Deernut3

1706584096874.png

I built this shooting bench and LOVE it. Not sure about sitting on it to hunt for long periods though. I guess it would matter if there would be the potential to shoot a deer other than the main long strip.

Liberty

I built my shooting bench with a stainless top and a mount off the side for a spotting scope. I also made the bench seat where it could be flipped to accommodate adult ot juvenile shooters. These three things have proved very useful over the past several years.

slow motion

No suggestions Jim. Just wanted to say it's looking good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

earlthegoat2

Every shooting bench I have made from wood, no matter how heavy of Timbers I used or how well I cut the joints or how many screws or other fasteners I used, wiggled a little bit.

Every concrete one I have made didn’t.

A large wood shooting platform will wiggle more proportionate to how much longer the spans of Timber are compared to my aforementioned shooting by benches.

My suggestions based on this experience and with more than just a little experience shooting 500 yds goes something like this.

Yes it seems overkill but this is a no compromises type of build I am layin GB out here.

Use the biggest timbers you can for every part. 8x8 legs or round equivalent concreted into the ground is a good place to start.

Inlet all the cross bracing at least half the thickness of the brace piece so there is a mechanical lock as well. So for a 2x12 brace it would need inletting 3/4 to 1 1/2”. Brace with 2x10s or 2x12s and heavy duty fasteners.

Use 2x material for the floor and not 5/4.

bighonkinjeep

Might want to go up in a tractor bucket or climb a ladder before you start to see exactly what kind of elevation youre gonna need. Just foot or two of hump multiplied over distance can wind up being a whole lot of difference in elevation needed to overcome it.

For a deer stand I'd go 6x6 instead of 8x8. Easier to watch all around if the windows are closer and easier to get in position to shoot without a bunch of movement or incidental noise from moving into position. And enough room for 2 to hunt comfortably.
Get some heavy screen for the windows to help prevent game from seeing in and solid heavy curtains or " blackout shades" that can be opened and closed and also secured so they dont blow in the wind. Cut them a few inches bigger than the openings all around to allow for adjustment.
A box of push pins is really helpful for adjusting and securing window treatments. You're gonna need this especially behind you to prevent being backlit. Sun may not be in your eyes but being backlit is a recipe for busted every time.

A swivel and height adjustable office chair sure is comfy to hunt from. But keep a can of lube handy in case it starts squeaking.

Sound deadening for the floor is going to be a necessity and something under the tin roof is probably a good idea to keep from rattling your teeth.

Keep in mind the insects, primarily wasps that are going to continually try to move in/take over, so make everything maintenance freindly. Nobody wants to sit at a shooting bench or in a box with a big ol unseen wasp nest and squeeze one off. This is going to be a constant whether its just a bench or a complete shooting house.

Thinking about it, maybe building up a dirt platform, hump, or high spot if you will and then grassing it with a pad on top ( gravel, dirt, concrete ) to shoot from may save a bunch of money and effort especially with the cost of materials and it would definitely be more solid as well as maintenance free. Maybe a small pole barn for shade and to keep dry and a bench on top. Then a seperate " deer stand".

Good Luck

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Might want to go up in a tractor bucket or climb a ladder before you start to see exactly what kind of elevation youre gonna need. Just foot or two of hump multiplied over distance can wind up being a whole lot of difference in elevation needed to overcome it.

For a deer stand I'd go 6x6 instead of 8x8. Easier to watch all around if the windows are closer and easier to get in position to shoot without a bunch of movement or incidental noise from moving into position. And enough room for 2 to hunt comfortably.
Get some heavy screen for the windows to help prevent game from seeing in and solid heavy curtains or " blackout shades" that can be opened and closed and also secured so they dont blow in the wind. Cut them a few inches bigger than the openings all around to allow for adjustment.
A box of push pins is really helpful for adjusting and securing window treatments. You're gonna need this especially behind you to prevent being backlit. Sun may not be in your eyes but being backlit is a recipe for busted every time.

A swivel and height adjustable office chair sure is comfy to hunt from. But keep a can of lube handy in case it starts squeaking.

Sound deadening for the floor is going to be a necessity and something under the tin roof is probably a good idea to keep from rattling your teeth.

Keep in mind the insects, primarily wasps that are going to continually try to move in/take over, so make everything maintenance freindly. Nobody wants to sit at a shooting bench or in a box with a big ol unseen wasp nest and squeeze one off. This is going to be a constant whether its just a bench or a complete shooting house.

Thinking about it, maybe building up a dirt platform, hump, or high spot if you will and then grassing it with a pad on top ( gravel, dirt, concrete ) to shoot from may save a bunch of money and effort especially with the cost of materials and it would definitely be more solid as well as maintenance free. Maybe a small pole barn for shade and to keep dry and a bench on top. Then a seperate " deer stand".

Good Luck

I need 8’ elevation.

I got on top of skid steer and my wife was at other end with Honda.

6’ would work but 8’ will give a little wiggle room.

bighonkinjeep

I need 8’ elevation.

I got on top of skid steer and my wife was at other end with Honda.

6’ would work but 8’ will give a little wiggle room.
Its your project but the more I think about it the more I like the dirt mound idea. Id think a 12x12 or so at 8' elevation would be doable with a 2/1 slope. Doesnt get more solid and 500 is a long long way.
Then theres no compromise on stability for a bench and you can also do a no compromise deer stand with the money you save on wood.
After thinking on it theres a lot of differences between an ideal long range shooting bench setup and an ideal comfortable for a long sit deer stand.

Last edited:

basshappy

BANNED
@Jim Boyd some thoughts and questions, typing out loud.

1) Why set the posts so deep and in concrete? I am presuming this is your land and not a lease so you are looking long term.

2) Grab some stakes and twine and start mocking up 6x6, 8x8, or 10x6, etc. Get yourself and those you hunt with inside those twine mock ups and see how they feel. If you aren't hunting out the backside maybe a rectangular shape will prove more useful for hunting with friends and loved ones. Think of it as a bar where others sit front row and watch or photo and video. No one behind a shooter, just safely beside sitting still no movement unobstructed view. From the pictures you shared I would seriously consider a rectangular shape structure instead of square.

3) Anyone going to maybe sleep in the structure overnight? The back wall or the side wall depending on measurements could hold flop down boards with a pad for sleeping.

4) Bathroom. Even a 5 gallon bucket with the toilet seat works. If a chance to need facilities you could consider when measuring a 3x3 section in a back corner to wall off or just curtain off a facility area. Whether you use a bucket or a composting toilet etc

5) We built a shoot house for a friend and as someone mentioned we used a screen. We stapled it taut to two of the four front facing windows and cut vertical slots for rifles. Most bugs out, movement concealed, and muzzles out no issue.

7) We set battery powered fans in back corners angled downward on wood shelves to move air around when needed.

8) As noted that area beneath will be gold storage for whatever. Whether you cage it and lock it or leave it open. If you can build it high enough to use it for storage or what not put down commercial barrier then something on top. I saw something because you want it quiet. Friend put down artifical turf because he had funds to do so. Quiet and clean. But even rugs or carpet work. Being able to hang hunting gear under out if sun and rain will be nice.

9) Consider height of front facing windows. We went high to use bar stools as chairs for shooting and viewing at my friend's place. They swivel quietly, comfy, and that height allows for standing over to shoot or sitting on stool to shoot.

10) We installed bike hooks and other smaller hooks inside so things could be hung and out of the way. We installed sound baffles to quiet the level some. He had access to plenty of these so it didn't cost him out of pocket.

11) Consider a rubber mat on the floor for things that accidentally drop and to just be quieter.

12) Side and rear windows that can be opened (IE. Lift up wood on inside and latch it open) for breeze and air flow.

Enjoy the build!

Jim Boyd

@Jim Boyd some thoughts and questions, typing out loud.

1) Why set the posts so deep and in concrete? I am presuming this is your land and not a lease so you are looking long term.

2) Grab some stakes and twine and start mocking up 6x6, 8x8, or 10x6, etc. Get yourself and those you hunt with inside those twine mock ups and see how they feel. If you aren't hunting out the backside maybe a rectangular shape will prove more useful for hunting with friends and loved ones. Think of it as a bar where others sit front row and watch or photo and video. No one behind a shooter, just safely beside sitting still no movement unobstructed view. From the pictures you shared I would seriously consider a rectangular shape structure instead of square.

3) Anyone going to maybe sleep in the structure overnight? The back wall or the side wall depending on measurements could hold flop down boards with a pad for sleeping.

4) Bathroom. Even a 5 gallon bucket with the toilet seat works. If a chance to need facilities you could consider when measuring a 3x3 section in a back corner to wall off or just curtain off a facility area. Whether you use a bucket or a composting toilet etc

5) We built a shoot house for a friend and as someone mentioned we used a screen. We stapled it taut to two of the four front facing windows and cut vertical slots for rifles. Most bugs out, movement concealed, and muzzles out no issue.

7) We set battery powered fans in back corners angled downward on wood shelves to move air around when needed.

8) As noted that area beneath will be gold storage for whatever. Whether you cage it and lock it or leave it open. If you can build it high enough to use it for storage or what not put down commercial barrier then something on top. I saw something because you want it quiet. Friend put down artifical turf because he had funds to do so. Quiet and clean. But even rugs or carpet work. Being able to hang hunting gear under out if sun and rain will be nice.

9) Consider height of front facing windows. We went high to use bar stools as chairs for shooting and viewing at my friend's place. They swivel quietly, comfy, and that height allows for standing over to shoot or sitting on stool to shoot.

10) We installed bike hooks and other smaller hooks inside so things could be hung and out of the way. We installed sound baffles to quiet the level some. He had access to plenty of these so it didn't cost him out of pocket.

11) Consider a rubber mat on the floor for things that accidentally drop and to just be quieter.

12) Side and rear windows that can be opened (IE. Lift up wood on inside and latch it open) for breeze and air flow.

Enjoy the build!

Wow - wonderful ideas!

Yes this is our farm and I was just thinking about stability.

I have the phone poles so that is easy

It is only about 150 yards to house so if someone needs toilet they can walk or ride over.

Can’t imagine anyone sleeping out there as it is close to house

Some really good thoughts there!

Many thanks!

Deernut3

I had a garden hose run down the leg through the floor into the ground with a funnel afixed to the top for urinating. Nowadays i just pee on the ground. My grandad ran a copper gas line run similarly with an lp tank on the ground and a heater (more of a hot plate burner) in his stand for those cold days.

Jim Boyd

Its your project but the more I think about it the more I like the dirt mound idea. Id think a 12x12 or so at 8' elevation would be doable with a 2/1 slope. Doesnt get more solid and 500 is a long long way.
Then theres no compromise on stability for a bench and you can also do a no compromise deer stand with the money you save on wood.
After thinking on it theres a lot of differences between an ideal long range shooting bench setup and an ideal comfortable for a long sit deer stand.

I am not an engineer but I think that would be about 45 yards of dirt.

Or about 70 tons of dirt?

Then I have no roof and cannot sit and shoot.

Plus now I would have erosion, etc.

Shaded so grass is not gonna grow well.

Yes the earth would be better but I am not a 1000 yard guy looking for ULTRA precise accuracy.

Plus, the platform will be equal to everyone so we can all blame inaccuracy on the platform!!!!

Yes we will shoot a gang of deer from the platform.

Sort of like the idea but it is not my ideal.

Want the roof and comfort and will work to make it as rigid as possible.

Want ez in and out and a place to shoot the breeze (pun intended) and enjoy company.

Thanks !!!!!

Jim Boyd

Every shooting bench I have made from wood, no matter how heavy of Timbers I used or how well I cut the joints or how many screws or other fasteners I used, wiggled a little bit.

Every concrete one I have made didn’t.

A large wood shooting platform will wiggle more proportionate to how much longer the spans of Timber are compared to my aforementioned shooting by benches.

My suggestions based on this experience and with more than just a little experience shooting 500 yds goes something like this.

Yes it seems overkill but this is a no compromises type of build I am layin GB out here.

Use the biggest timbers you can for every part. 8x8 legs or round equivalent concreted into the ground is a good place to start.

Inlet all the cross bracing at least half the thickness of the brace piece so there is a mechanical lock as well. So for a 2x12 brace it would need inletting 3/4 to 1 1/2”. Brace with 2x10s or 2x12s and heavy duty fasteners.

Use 2x material for the floor and not 5/4.

Great suggestions!!!!!

Jim Boyd

Leave off that center post thingamabob and enclose the bottom for parking an atv under it.
You will thank me in a few years.
Can do!

The woods to the south are super dense.

Parked 25’ back, they would not even see my white buggy.

Plus it is only about 150 yards to house!!!

Thanks !!!