Orthodontist broke my sons tooth

SarahFair

My son currently has braces and has had an additional appliance in for the past 8ish months, which was anchored around his first molars.

He went last week and had it removed.
He said the woman was having a hard time getting it off and started really yanking on it, he said the pain became so bad he had to ask her to stop 4 different times. He also said when he was about to ask her for the 5th time to stop the woman said, "Its about to come out", he then thought he heard a crack and felt some pain when it finally did come loose.

He says now the pain is unbearable while trying to chew.
I looked and sure enough, it looks like the back part of his tooth is broken off at an angle.

Im going to call them up to have them look at it, but I dont want them to give me the "welllll" run around.

Has anyone dealt with something like this?
If it is broken, they should be liable for fixing it, correct?

oldfella1962

My son currently has braces and has had an additional appliance in for the past 8ish months, which was anchored around his first molars.

He went last week and had it removed.
He said the woman was having a hard time getting it off and started really yanking on it, he said the pain became so bad he had to ask her to stop 4 different times. He also said when he was about to ask her for the 5th time to stop the woman said, "Its about to come out", he then thought he heard a crack and felt some pain when it finally did come loose.

He says now the pain is unbearable while trying to chew.
I looked and sure enough, it looks like the back part of his tooth is broken off at an angle.

Im going to call them up to have them look at it, but I dont want them to give me the "welllll" run around.

Has anyone dealt with something like this?
If it is broken, they should be liable for fixing it, correct?
:oops: My daughter had braces quite some years ago. I had them too when I was younger. I've never heard of such a thing before! But if memory serves, removing braces can be more difficult than putting them on - though not to the point of damaging teeth. Maybe a second opinion from a different orthodontist will clear things up as to whether or not the orthodontist was negligent or whatever.

Redbow

If she is responsible for breaking your Son's tooth off she should be responsible for fixing it IMO. And why would any tooth doctor let any patient leave their office when something like that happens without addressing and correcting the situation. Yeah if the boy were my Son she would fix his tooth, one way or the other.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My daughter had braces. She didn't have any issues, other than the normal soreness.
They are definitely liable.
As has been mentioned, I would seek a second opinion.