Paging C. Killmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I agree on the no easy solutions....just bites when you are in an area where a part of that 3%, which is about 10,000 plus deer if I'm not mistaken, is being gotten from....and that 3% doesn't account for all the gut shot deer we find after they are done for the night.

It averages between 5 and 7k. I can imagine it would suck to be next door. I just hope someday I'll be able to come up with a solution that's good for everyone. I think neighbors communicating and cooperating will have to be part of it.

NGA44

Amazing how quick it went from depredation permits to there's no deer in N Ga.
It has been well discussed in the past the problem in the mtns. Old growth timber and predators (bears, coyotes etc)
Its not a state problem. Its a Federal problem. They own the Nation Forest lands.
That said I hate seeing 100s of acres clear cut but timber can be thinned and opened up in areas without too many issues
I completely agree. I wish it were that easy though.
Us mountain hunters have to realize the Feds are done in regards to creating wildlife habitat. If you have gone to any of their public meetings and really look at their organization then it’s clear we can no longer work with them and no matter what we do they will never create landscape level wildlife habitat again. They simply don’t care about wildlife or hunters. Plain and simple.

That then puts responsibility on the state, which is tasked with managing wildlife and maintaining healthy populations of wildlife. This includes national forest as well. They may not be able to change the habitat on the Fed land but they are in charges of managing the wildlife populations. There are other places that have identical, maybe worse habitat than our mountains, but still have healthy thriving deer populations. Portions of KY and WV are examples I have seen with my own two eyes. Less than ideal habitat yet plenty of deer in comparison to GA mountains.

Lowering predator numbers and increasing deer numbers (ie stocking) are the only options we have left and the state is more than capable of doing these things. I am of the opinion that we can have a huntable, healthy deer population like days past in the mountains of DNR will stop this cheap talk and try something. Doing something, whether it works perfectly or not, is better than nothing. Hunters will NEVER be upset for trying to better wildlife for them.

Last edited:

Mike 65

You would be surprised. I've gotten permission to hunt a few farms over the years because the farmer couldn't get anybody to actually KILL DEER. They wanted to sit there and let deer go by and wait on a big buck, they wouldn't burn their tags on small bucks and yearlings.
I hunt a family farm here inHenry co. Ga. The farmer said to kill all deer. I kill my share but everyone I get to share the lease with me will not kill them. Every year I tell whoever is hunting with me to fill the freezer bucks, does, it don’t matter but they still won’t kill em. It’s nothing to see 10-15 deer in a sit. I’m beginning to think folks are scared to kill em anymore, rather watch them I guess. Me, I enjoy watching, killing and eating them. The farmer tells me if we don’t kill more he’s gonna get a permit and go to work on them. Said I could help with the killing.
Hope it don’t come to that.

Jim Boyd

Not taking away from those that still farm that way but most land is rented out and farmed by corporations or larger farm entities. The day of the family farm is nearly gone.

Two things: this entire conversation is tilted and prejudiced by bias and personal goals, most or all of which cannot be met in a perfect situation.

If you ain’t noticed lately, there ain’t many perfect situations in life.

Second thing - the thought of the private farm being gone is simply not accurate. I have been involved in about 25 private leases in the last 25 years or so and all were private, face to face leases with the landowners. All small farms from 40 to 500 acres.

This is in SC and in Illinois.

Right now, I personally have 7 different landowners that I know on a personal basis and all are small farm holders - none larger than 306 acres.

If you try to find good, you can find it.

If you try to find something less than good, you can find that, too.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I took my kids down to the lease in Seminole county after their first elk. There weren't really any there, and now I'm all tore up about it. Should I call somebody to move my kid a elk?

Lern to scout! Ain’t our fault u caint hit ur kid on a mega elk:mad:

shdw633

Not around Southwest Georgia. I live here. I know a lot of these farmers and plantation owners personally.

Second thing - the thought of the private farm being gone is simply not accurate. I have been involved in about 25 private leases in the last 25 years or so and all were private, face to face leases with the landowners. All small farms from 40 to 500 acres.

This is in SC and in Illinois.

I didn't state they were non existent, just because a farmer has land doesn't mean he/himself farms it. The land across my area is owned by Hardy Farms, who is known in my area for peanuts but he leases the land that he owns around us to others to farm, same with my landowner in Michigan, he is a farmer but he leases his land out instead of farming it himself. My wife's parents had a farm that they decided it was more profitable to lease the land out than farm it themselves and I can give you many, many more instances, like some of these timber properties you see, they were farms that just started leasing or selling their land to timber companies to grow trees instead of crops. The timber lease I hunt was once farmland, so for as many instances where you can tell me of some mom and pop farm with 50 to 500 acres on it I can point out operations in charge of thousands of acres of land much of it those smaller land owner/farmers you are mentioning.

Which none of this has anything to do with the hunting with permits. Are any of the farmers you know Jim using permits to manage their deer herd?

shdw633

I wouldn’t let people who talk about how sorry I am hunt on my land either

Who is doing that? I clearly stated I understand the farmers situation and that this wasn't about that but was about the permit program itself.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Doing something, whether it works perfectly or not, is better than nothing. Hunters will NEVER be upset for trying to better wildlife for them.

Like shutting down doe harvest on CNF? We did that, give it a minute to see how much it helps. Takes a lot longer for it to work when folks don't read the regulations, lots of does still being killed up there.

cape buffalo

Unfortunately, the US government pays over a BILLION dollars a year to people to not grow crops—and they aren't even farmers, most of them. ... But a few times I have seen a perfectly good looking crop get paid for and plowed under.

cape buffalo

Farmers got more than $22 billion in government payments in 2019. It's the highest level of farm subsidies in 14 years. In 2019, the federal government delivered an extraordinary financial aid package to America's farmers.

Kev

It's getting harder and harder to find divisive topics in today's world, we all seem to agree on most everything else!! :wink::bounce:
When I was a farmer.... I not only baited them Deers in but me and my buddy’s blasted em off the tractor with ak47’s. Them deer ain’t got the right to eat my cotton.. I got to pay for my king ranch.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
And I agree with the op , it would hurt my feelings if a farmer was killing deer with a permit that I worked hard for and spent a lot of time and money to be able to enjoy hunting . But unfortunately it happens and I don’t blame them one bit ! I’ve actually been on a few permits many years ago , we shot eyes , and a lot of them ! I’ve got some friends that farm in Telfair county and they use them timed cannons to run the deer and hogs off , you can hear them from the next county

Status
Not open for further replies.