Pickles!

furtaker

I love pickles so today I took a stab at making my own. Never tried it before and they turned out pretty good! I just used a simple recipe I found with white vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic, black pepper, red pepper, and dill.

Do any of you make your own?
IMG_20210609_125546796.jpg

Dr. Strangelove

Sounds like a good recipe! I used to make my own but haven't grown any vegetables in a long time now, just tired of fighting the droughts and the deer and whatever else came along.

Maybe I'll pick up some cukes and make a batch, it's been a while and I enjoy it.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I can't figure it out I love pickles.

Cucumbers make me as sick as the day is long. Gassy to the point of bursting. Even a salad with cucumbers picked off makes me nauseous.

Just the smell of a Cucumber and I want to hurl. Grabbed a Gatorade a year or so ago in Texas...it was cucumber flavored in same green bottle. 1 huge swig and I hurled.

I am also surprised that hotel shampoo 6 out of 10 times has cucumber in it. Makes me have to use hand soap to get the smell off.

I can't explain it. I have zero reactions to dill pickles.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Too many times to count. H22 and I been pickling all sorts of stuff since the early 80's. Got a pantry slap full right now and some stacked in other places. Won't be making any this year unless we get some okra coming in. That's the only thing we can't seem to keep enough of.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Here's the pickled okra recipe that I posted in here a while back.
Pack 3 1/2 lb. small okra pods
small red peppers
garlic cloves
into jars.
Boil 1 pt. vinegar
1 qt. water
1/3 cup pickling salt
and dill seed.
Pour into jars.
Process full jars 10 min. in boiling water.
Let sit several weeks.

Same recipe for green tomatoes, but H22 soaks them in something to make them not soft. I'll ask him when he gets home.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
My 3 favorite things to pickle are cucumbers sweet style, jalapeños bread and butter style and Vidalia onions sweet style.