Piedmont NWR Primitive Weapon Hunt

FOURNOTCHHUNTER

My group of 4 did not get drawn for the hunt. I was kind of shocked. This is the 1st time in 30 years that I have not gotten picked for that hunt. Is there that many more people putting in for the primitive weapon hunt? I always look forward to that particular hunt every year. I guess I can hope for next year!

BASS1FUN

It happens, that's the only hunt I've ever killed a deer on, done a couple of gun hunts but nothing to show for

7Mag Hunter

We only have 2 in our group and we got picked..
Hunted there last year and only saw 2 small does and a BIG and very pretty copperhead snake about 10 ft from my tree stand....

gititdone

MY BUDDY WAS THERE FOR THE DRAW SAID THERE WERE OVER 14 HUNDRED PUT IN FOR IT.WE GOT PICKED PARTY OF 6 BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME

ucfireman

My group of 4 did not get drawn for the hunt. I was kind of shocked. This is the 1st time in 30 years that I have not gotten picked for that hunt. Is there that many more people putting in for the primitive weapon hunt? I always look forward to that particular hunt every year. I guess I can hope for next year!
I was told about 3 years ago (before covid) that the PW hunt was the most popular.
Folks figure they could apply for it, if not chosen then they would probably get the 1st gun hunt and then the 2nd is almost always available for purchase.
This was from the lady at Piedmont.
Doing it that way folks could hunt all archery, probably PW and both guns. And kill a ton of deer of they see them.
I got the 1st and bought the second gun hunts.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I dont even apply for the pw anymore. Just the 2nd gun hunt.
Of course I usually get drawn for CFL the weekend of the PW hunt.

LanceAH222

I was just up at Piedmont a few days ago. Here are the official 2022 numbers. They had them on the board.
PW 1422 applied Draw 1250
1st Gun 1228 applied Draw 1265 (not sure why the went 15 over)
2nd Gun 321 applied Draw 402.

These are including buy ins, why there are more drawn than applied.

My group of 4 didn't get drawn for the muzzleloader last year. We got the 2nd gun hunt and bought in on the last gun hunt. I'm glad it didn't work out with the PW hunt because I ended up killing a really good 9 pointer on the 1st gun hunt. In my opinion the 1st gun hunt is the better time to be in the woods as far as rut activity and having a better chance at a good buck. I think for now on we'll be putting in the for the first gun hunt as 1st choice. Anyways, I look forward to the Piedmont hunt. My favorite hunt and deer camp of the year. Tons of fun.

tdw3684

I was drawn for the pw hunt this year. Last year ot rained a lot during the pw hunt. I had a scrap near methat was cleaned every night but didn't see anything during the morning hunts. I wish Icould have sat all day but was sick from diabetes and couldn't make it that long.

tdw3684

Just got back from putting my stand on a tree for tomorrow. Had 4 deer walk by at 25 yards on mt front porch lol.

there were a lot of trucks spread across the roads. Looks like a good crowd will be out stirring the deer up in the morning.

deer588

we hunted thursday my son killed a 6pt also shot two does from the same stand had blood trail we gave up mile drag back to the truck with the 6pt when we checked his deer out trucks was lined up at the check station waiting to check deer in we only hunted thursday first day was good hunt

we hunted thursday my son killed a 6pt also shot two does from the same stand had blood trail we gave up mile drag back to the truck with the 6pt when we checked his deer out trucks was lined up at the check station waiting to check deer in we only hunted thursday first day was good hunt
Good deal. I figured they would hammer them. Headed up Wednesday for first Gun hunt.

tdw3684

I had good luck on the muzzlleloader hunt. Got a 9 point buck just after sunrise. The line at the check station was pretty long and I didn't see a single doe. The bucks were definitely on the move. Sounded like the civil war with just one shot fired by everyone.