planting pines

meateater

Can anyone give me an idea of who to contact to get some pinetrees planted
on my farm in Brooks County ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Meat eater,

When I decided to plant pines I contacted the Ga Forestry Commision office in my county. I told them what I had in mind and asked them about any assistance programs available.

I planted mine in the winter of 99-00. At that time Ga Power company had an assistance program in place. If you follow the guidelines provided by the Ga Forestry consulant you could get about 2/3 of your out of pockets costs reimbursed a few months after the planting is done.

I dont know what has changed in the last 5 years and what may be available. Here is a link to them.

http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/

Good luck,
MM

CAL

meateater,
I planted 86 acres in 2000.First thing is to go to your Farm Service Agency in your county(Brooks).Make application for assistance in doing what you are intending.If your land has been in row crops and is highly erodible you will qualify for assistance.Do all this before you do anything else.You must apply before you begin to get any help!
There is a company by the name of B & S Wood Service in Lumpkin,Ga.These men will do you a first class job as they do this all over the southeast.If you decide to call them ask for Brad or Shawn.Hope this helps!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ga spur

It is my belief that Ga Power assists with this type project to help the evironment. Trees help clean up the air. Same air that burning coal doesnt clean up.

I have not been told that it is just an assumption due to the wording of the contract in which Ga Power retains the "carbon rights" to the planted trees for 10 years.

MM

Gumpond

milkman is right. the green program is a cost sharing program with ga.power who recieves credit for carbon dioxde fixation. contract was for ten years. costs can include your labor ie tractor work etc. great program 8 years for my trees.