Pool PVC Leaking Thread Advice

ribber

My discharge pipe from pool pump has developed a small leak. I noticed a crack in the pump housing that PVC pipe fitting threads into (pic). I've never noticed the crack before so not sure if its always been there, or developed over time. I removed pipe, put 3-4 wraps of teflon tape on, but its still leaking. I'm sure the cracked housing is expanding when I tighten the pipe in. Any ideas here, without having to replace the whole pump manifold? I thought about putting Starbrite silicone on threads, tighten a hose clamp around cracked housing, and let it sit for 24 hours. Or, make a different pipe assembly all together with a new fitting that threads onto the outer threads of the housing. The housing (the black part) has inner and outer threads and is not repairable, it is made with the manifold.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 100

Lukikus2

I would try a female adapter or threaded union over the threads first. It’s probably 2” and would have to be bushed down.

Artfuldodger

Put a pipe clamp around the cracked housing. Teflon tape on the male adapter followed by a goog smear of permanent #2 from an auto parts store. Thread it on just over hand tight. Hopefully you will have a couple of threads left. Let sit a few hours..

GeorgiaBob

Others have suggested, and I agree, that you need to constrict the cracked black end of the fitting. I see that the connecter appears to be externally threaded. Perhaps you could find a screw on adapter that you can fit over the cracked piece and then connect your pvc tubing to the adapter. That way you can seal (with plumbers tape or otherwise) the cracked portion with the compression of a screw-on fitting.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
A rubber coupling over that might fix the leak issue.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
get a 2in PVC threaded coupling. Thread it onto the male part of the pump good and tight. Take a hacksaw or similar and cut the coupling off at the end of the male thread, just leaving a bushing around the outside of the thread.

Then tape up, Rector seal or some good pipe sealant and HAND thread the current fitting back into the female thread. RectorSeal #5 is good stuff. So is the Blue Demon pipe sealant.

It cracked because someone over tightened it to begin with.

LIGHTNING

2 inch union. Female thread on 1 side, slip on the other. Install threaded female on to pump outlet with pvc cement. Connect female slip to existing pipe.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I would replace the pump housing so I didn't have to mess with it later. Connect the new pipe to the outside threads ( one in pic doesn't look like an exact match for yours but it is out there to be had).

Fwiw - All of that pvc pipe will last 5x longer in the shade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911-103013_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-103013_Chrome.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 12

bany

That’s your backwash port isn’t it?
a small leak isn’t a big deal but I’m leaning to Pappys idea or just go to a female fitting over it if you think its bad enough to warrant a repair. Use caution as to not crack it up worse or you’ll be spending some real jack on your filter top.

ribber

Thanks for all the advice. I took parts of all your advice lol.
Took a 2" rubber coupling with the hose clamp and cut it off flush with the black port. Put Starbrite silicone on the outside threads of black port and tightened clamp around it. Put rector seal on PVC male threads and snugged it in. Then put a heavy bead of Starbrite around the outside where the two mated. No more leak.