Prophecy in light of current events in Israel.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Years ago I studied eschatology, not as a formal student, but just a lay Christian. I've forgotten most of it, but a lot of what has happened in the last few weeks in Israel kinda stirred my memory. I realize people of every age can and have read and interpreted scripture fitting it to what's going on in the world around them and think the end is near, much to their chagrin. That said, just a casual brushing up on some of the stuff I'd forgot and it sure seems it's being fulfilled before our eyes. Ezekiel 37-39 in particular. Thoughts? Agree/disagree?

GeorgiaBob

I remember reading somewhere that we will NOT know nor recognize the time until it is upon us.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I remember reading somewhere that we will NOT know nor recognize the time until it is upon us.
I don't think that is what scripture says. I read that we will see the events unrolling, we will realize that is what it going on, and that is when we are told to look up for our redemption is near.

I think we can know the season, but not the day nor time

brutally honest

I dunno. In the 20th century, we started off with a world war. Twenty years later, we had another world war. Then, we had a cold war, highlighted by the Cuban missile crisis. While all this was going on, the communists were busy killing 100 million people. Then, almost as an afterthought, we saw the rise of radical Islam with the overthrow of the shah of Iran by the Shiite mullahs. Not to be outdone, the Sunnis gave us the Taliban, al Qaeda and ISIS.

The 21st century has been relatively calm by comparison. That said, the current situation looks very bad, and our political class is the worst ever, IMO. God help us.

buckpasser

Years ago I studied eschatology, not as a formal student, but just a lay Christian. I've forgotten most of it, but a lot of what has happened in the last few weeks in Israel kinda stirred my memory. I realize people of every age can and have read and interpreted scripture fitting it to what's going on in the world around them and think the end is near, much to their chagrin. That said, just a casual brushing up on some of the stuff I'd forgot and it sure seems it's being fulfilled before our eyes. Ezekiel 37-39 in particular. Thoughts? Agree/disagree?

Do you interpret the end of 39 possibly being a nuclear attack by Israel on Iran? In other words, God using Israel, His people, to carry out this move of might that will demonstrate His power, or do you see those verses being the end of the age demonstrated in Revelation, where the events might be literally the actions of God alone?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I dunno. In the 20th century, we started off with a world war. Twenty years later, we had another world war. Then, we had a cold war, highlighted by the Cuban missile crisis. While all this was going on, the communists were busy killing 100 million people. Then, almost as an afterthought, we saw the rise of radical Islam with the overthrow of the shah of Iran by the Shiite mullahs. Not to be outdone, the Sunnis gave us the Taliban, al Qaeda and ISIS.

The 21st century has been relatively calm by comparison. That said, the current situation looks very bad, and our political class is the worst ever, IMO. God help us.
yes, a lot was going on then as far as wars, but the prophesies involve Israel, not the US. I do think that the US is mentioned in the prophecies one time, but not by name, because the nation didn't exist then.

You can see the whole of the muslim nations banding together, gathering on Israel's borders, and making sure that the world knows they want Israel destroyed.

You see the northern nations coming together to fight against Israel, and China coming into the picture now. All of this is prophesied as a sign of the end of the age.

brutally honest

You can see the whole of the muslim nations banding together, gathering on Israel's borders, and making sure that the world knows they want Israel destroyed.

They did the same thing in 1948 … and 1967 … and 1973.

I’ve read enough prophecy material to know that everybody thinks they have it figured out, but nobody really does. “The Late, Great Planet Earth” was published in 1970. Hal Lindsey has basically made a career out of constantly updating his predictions. I remember watching Pat Robertson say that 1982 “might be the year”. Then, when the Gulf War began in 1991, I started seeing new prophecy books with Saddam’s picture on the cover.

There’s no end to “wars and rumors of wars”.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
They did the same thing in 1948 … and 1967 … and 1973.

I’ve read enough prophecy material to know that everybody thinks they have it figured out, but nobody really does. “The Late, Great Planet Earth” was published in 1970. Hal Lindsey has basically made a career out of constantly updating his predictions. I remember watching Pat Robertson say that 1982 “might be the year”. Then, when the Gulf War began in 1991, I started seeing new prophecy books with Saddam’s picture on the cover.

There’s no end to “wars and rumors of wars”.
you are correct. Yet there are several other things that Christ said would be happening just before His return. Also when you look at Ezk 38 and 39, those things are coming together like no time in the past.

Just because someone made some predictions and were wrong in the past, doesn't mean that things aren't lining up now. And just because things are lining up with prophecy now, doesn't mean that Christ will return in the next few weeks or months.

It also doesn't mean that He won't. All I know for sure is that you better be ready, because of that. No one knows the day or the hour.

brutally honest

I had to reread Ezekiel 37-39 to refresh my memory. This is what I remembered:

“Many biblical scholars equate the land of Gog in Ezekiel’s prophecies with Russia, who will attack Israel “from the far north” (Ezekiel 38:15). Meshech and Tubal could be two of the “many nations” joining Russia in their invasion of Israel (verse 6).”

Russia was always THE bad guy in the prophecy stuff I read. I also remember a huge army from “the East” attacking Israel, as well. (This was generally interpreted as China.)

So why would Russia and China attack Israel now? Back in the 1970’s, when I first read this, it made a lot more sense. Today, though, Russia has its hands full with Ukraine, and China seems far more interested in Taiwan.

I don’t see how Russia and China fit into the current scenario, at least not as major players.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

“Many biblical scholars equate the land of Gog in Ezekiel’s prophecies with Russia, who will attack Israel “from the far north” (Ezekiel 38:15). Meshech and Tubal could be two of the “many nations” joining Russia in their invasion of Israel (verse 6).”

Russia was always THE bad guy in the prophecy stuff I read. I also remember a huge army from “the East” attacking Israel, as well. (This was generally interpreted as China.)

So why would Russia and China attack Israel now? Back in the 1970’s, when I first read this, it made a lot more sense. Today, though, Russia has its hands full with Ukraine, and China seems far more interested in Taiwan.

I don’t see how Russia and China fit into the current scenario, at least not as major players.

Probably a better question is why they haven't joined forces earlier. Russia has the oil that China needs and China has the food that Russia needs so it makes sense that they would work together, and neither of them have a love for Israel.

If you look at where the decendents of Noah settled, Meshech is where you find the -stan nations. Kasahkstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan. Tubal refers to the southern nations below Russia, Turkey area.

brutally honest

Probably a better question is why they haven't joined forces earlier. Russia has the oil that China needs and China has the food that Russia needs so it makes sense that they would work together …

Working together is one thing. Either (or both of them) attacking Israel is another thing entirely. Here’s someone who agrees with the basic premise:

Laurie leaves a lot of wiggle room there and ignores China, but it’s a start.

I’m still having a hard time believing Putin or Xi thinks Israel is a top priority.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Working together is one thing. Either (or both of them) attacking Israel is another thing entirely. Here’s someone who agrees with the basic premise:

Laurie leaves a lot of wiggle room there and ignores China, but it’s a start.

I’m still having a hard time believing Putin or Xi thinks Israel is a top priority.

I think it is about controlling that area's resources. There is a BUNCH of oil right off Israel's coast that China would love to have, and there are bonuses from the muslim nations for the one that takes Israel out. All of them would be beholden to that victor. So Russia would gain great power and allies if they take out Israel.

At least that is the way I see it now. My thoughts could change as more comes to light. But make no doubt about it, this is more spiritual than physical.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Russia is allied with Iran through its arms purchasing and anti-West stance. It’s an alliance that grows stronger by the week. Israel sits at the crossroads of 3 continents. Both China and India are emerging markets looking at improving trade routes to the West. India is building a rail line to Europe.

It’s slated to run right through the Middle East

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Well, here is a simple truth we can all hold onto:

1) when it’s all over God wins and every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord of all!
2) if you belong to Christ, you are Abraham’s seed and heir according to God’s promise!

Not much else really matters when you think about it.

Doboy Dawg

““Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him, and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords. Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; Gomer and all its troops; the house of Togarmah from the far north and all its troops—many people are with you. “Prepare yourself and be ready, you and all your companies that are gathered about you; and be a guard for them. After many days you will be visited. In the latter years you will come into the land of those brought back from the sword and gathered from many people on the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate; they were brought out of the nations, and now all of them dwell safely. You will ascend, coming like a storm, covering the land like a cloud, you and all your troops and many peoples with you.””
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭38‬:‭2‬-‭9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Artfuldodger

““Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him, and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords. Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; Gomer and all its troops; the house of Togarmah from the far north and all its troops—many people are with you. “Prepare yourself and be ready, you and all your companies that are gathered about you; and be a guard for them. After many days you will be visited. In the latter years you will come into the land of those brought back from the sword and gathered from many people on the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate; they were brought out of the nations, and now all of them dwell safely. You will ascend, coming like a storm, covering the land like a cloud, you and all your troops and many peoples with you.””
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭38‬:‭2‬-‭9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
That reads like a future event so all of those Jews that were dispersed in the scattering may still be dispersed. If so then those that returned after 1948 may not be those mentioned in Ezekiel.
Is it possible that Ezekiel is referring to those dispersed by Babylonia that ended in 538bc? I was reading that lead to the first dispersion.

Artfuldodger

Some people feel like all of those dispersed and mentioned about being gathered are not just the physical descendants of Abraham by birth but all of us that have been adopted and grafted in.
Romans 11 reads more like it's physical Israel with Christians being grafted into physical Israel.
It's a bit confusing how the two concepts intertwine and over lap. Sometimes salvation passages sound like physical Israel, past and present, and some read like a future spiritual salvation of all Christians with resurrected bodies thrown into the mix to make even that spiritual part physical.

buckpasser

Well, here is a simple truth we can all hold onto:

1) when it’s all over God wins and every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord of all!
2) if you belong to Christ, you are Abraham’s seed and heir according to God’s promise!

Not much else really matters when you think about it.

Agreed. However, in my humble opinion we should always be prepared to continue loving and serving our Lord even if it gets very cold and dark for us through the end times. It already has for many believers throughout history and there is no guarantee we won’t be outed, tortured and killed for our faith. Possibly in huge numbers just before the end.