Purpose of one bird a day limit?

Sixes

If the DNR decides to go to a 2 gobbler limit with no more than one bird per day, what is the reasoning behind the daily bag limit of one?

The limit is the limit no matter if it happens in one pull of the trigger or it takes 6 weeks to kill 2.

I'm guessing the collateral damage kills when someone accidentally kills 2 with one shot are not going to be tagged.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
If the DNR decides to go to a 2 gobbler limit with no more than one bird per day, what is the reasoning behind the daily bag limit of one?

The limit is the limit no matter if it happens in one pull of the trigger or it takes 6 weeks to kill 2.

I'm guessing the collateral damage kills when someone accidentally kills 2 with one shot are not going to be tagged.
Just to make it harder to tag out and increase the odds of a gobbler making it through the season. I wouldn't mind it if they put a daily harvest limit on deer just the same.

Sixes

Just to make it harder to tag out and increase the odds of a gobbler making it through the season. I wouldn't mind it if they put a daily harvest limit on deer just the same.

What makes it harder to tag out? What stats are out there showing how many hunters double on a hunt

Most turkey hunters are not going to shoot 2 birds on one hunt regardless of how many come in at once and if they do, then they are going to be finished for the year.

I think we are regulating ourselves to death.

Are you saying you would like to see a daily limit on deer of one? Why would that make a difference? Mid November and you shoot a doe in the morning and you are done for the day?

I shot 4 in one morning this year and 2 more that evening. It was still the same amount of dead deer.

chrislibby88

I’m thinking it would reduce hunting pressure of guys could knock two down in a day or at the same time. I believe the overall purpose of the new proposals are to reduce hunting pressure and the number of folks interrupting breeding. It would make more sense for a guy to tag out in one day and be done for the season than have him back the next day, or week or weeks trying to get that second bird. Every day a hunter is in the woods is a day birds and breeding is potentially disturbed.

ucfireman

I think it is the same as with fishing.
Say you find a honey hole of crappie and catch 50.
You go back the next day and they have either moved on or are not biting. And you only catch 3.
So you got 53 in 2 days. Instead of catching 100 in one day. Or more. In theory you could catch thousands if there were no daily limit.
I am good with the 1/day limit. But I don't turkey hunt hard so.

Sixes

I think it is the same as with fishing.
Say you find a honey hole of crappie and catch 50.
You go back the next day and they have either moved on or are not biting. And you only catch 3.
So you got 53 in 2 days. Instead of catching 100 in one day. Or more. In theory you could catch thousands if there were no daily limit.
I am good with the 1/day limit. But I don't turkey hunt hard so.
That would only be the same if you had a season limit on crappie.

buckpasser

I couldn’t care less about the fictional theory of breeding disruption...but I really like the daily limit change. If a guy wants to shoot multiple Toms/Toms and Jakes/Jakes in a single day, he isn’t very appreciative of what he’s killing IMO. If that’s offensive, I’m sorry, but we’re not meat hunting for turkeys.

With this change, a neighbor may have a chance at a kill what would have been part of a Facebook triple on opening day for Billy Bad butt the turkey reaper extraordinaire.

Last edited:

Sixes

I am just trying to find out the reasoning for the law based on something more than a hunch.

A hunter killing 2 in a day doesn't bother me anyhere near as much as the guy bragging about carrying different people throughout the season and talking about how he "watched 15 birds die"

Those guys are affecting the population as much as or more as a guy doubling up.

There is no perfect solution, I just hate having more rules put in place without some type of sound reasoning.

ucfireman

That would only be the same if you had a season limit on crappie.
Your correct, I was just trying to make an example of daily limits.

I am just trying to find out the reasoning for the law based on something more than a hunch.

A hunter killing 2 in a day doesn't bother me anyhere near as much as the guy bragging about carrying different people throughout the season and talking about how he "watched 15 birds die"

Those guys are affecting the population as much as or more as a guy doubling up.

There is no perfect solution, I just hate having more rules put in place without some type of sound reasoning.

I have no problem with someone helping someone out. I got a neighbor that is a turkey killing machine. He killed his 3 the first week last year. I hunted 5-6 times and 0. So I asked if he could help me. I'm going to hit him up in a week or so.

Using your argument what difference does it make if 1 guy helps 5 others kill their limit throughout the season or in 1 day or however. They are only killing their limit.

Sixes

Your correct, I was just trying to make an example of daily limits.

I have no problem with someone helping someone out. I got a neighbor that is a turkey killing machine. He killed his 3 the first week last year. I hunted 5-6 times and 0. So I asked if he could help me. I'm going to hit him up in a week or so.

Using your argument what difference does it make if 1 guy helps 5 others kill their limit throughout the season or in 1 day or however. They are only killing their limit.

If these hunters are killing limits on their own, it is no different, if they are only killing birds because of the "guy", then it is a big difference, these birds would make it through the year.

I'm not trying to argue, I just see no need to cut the limit AND limit when you can kill that limit.

I have no problem helping people, but I am not going to call in a limit for them nor let them shoot more than one at a time.

Dupree

I know that law has saved several gobblers in Alabama with me on the trigger. Multiple times I have called several birds in, shot my one and had to let the others walk off, although I try not to shoot more than one turkey per sitting these days. I am in favor of the law.

gsubo

You can wipe out your whole season in one sitting if three birds came in. I’ve done it. If I had killed just one of those birds that day..the odds of me calling in those other two birds making that same mistake again I think would have been pretty slim. They’re educated and harder to kill and call back in usually. Not always but a lot of times. I don’t mind the rule now. I’ve seen what wiping big groups of gobblers could do to the turkey hunting in an area..and it ain’t good if you truly love turkeys and want to do what’s right for the turkey population. You gotta leave some gobbling birds for the next year, especially on smaller tracts IMO. I believe that would help achieve that as would a 2 bird limit.

Last edited:

Sixes

I could agree with the law if it was written as no more than one bird per hunt.

Many times I have killed a turkey in the morning and hunted again that afternoon.

I'm sure the law is designed to prevent killing 2 birds at once but it knocks out the afternoon after a successful morning.

Reactions: six

buckpasser

I could agree with the law if it was written as no more than one bird per hunt.

Many times I have killed a turkey in the morning and hunted again that afternoon.

I'm sure the law is designed to prevent killing 2 birds at once but it knocks out the afternoon after a successful morning.

A kill in the morning is a good day, and a good week. I think we’ll all be fine with just scraping by at one per day, but maybe spend some time with loved ones of go scouting if it really gets you down.

Doug B.

You can wipe out your whole season in one sitting if three birds came in. I’ve done it. If I had killed just one of those birds that day..the odds of me calling in those other two birds making that same mistake again I think would have been a lot less slim. They’re educated and harder to kill and call back in usually. Not always but a lot of times. I don’t mind the rule now. I’ve seen what wiping big groups of gobblers could do to the turkey hunting in an area..and it ain’t good if you truly love turkeys and want to do what’s right for the turkey population. You gotta leave some gobbling birds for the next year, especially on smaller tracts IMO. I believe that would help achieve that as would a 2 bird limit.
Wait a minute, so how would killing three gobblers change the turkey population? You would have two less gobblers, but the hens would still lay the same amount of fertilized eggs, which would result in the same number of hatched eggs, but would ultimately be the same number of survived hatchlings.