Purpose of one bird a day limit?

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Not all quota hunts are 3. My piedmont tag says 1 bird. The local wma has a 3 bird limit. 8 total birds tagged last year for the entire wma which has about 5000 acres of turkey habitat. I run there 3-5x a week and have seen maybe 6 sets of gobbler tracks since nov. That wma makes sense to only allow 1. The northern fed/wma lands that span 100s of thousands of acres dont make sense to only allow 1 bird.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Not all quota hunts are 3. My piedmont tag says 1 bird. The local wma has a 3 bird limit. 8 total birds tagged last year for the entire wma which has about 5000 acres of turkey habitat. I run there 3-5x a week and have seen maybe 6 sets of gobbler tracks since nov. That wma makes sense to only allow 1. The northern fed/wma lands that span 100s of thousands of acres dont make sense to only allow 1 bird.

You can kill a bird on USFS land outside WMAs and one on each of the WMAs that are on USFS land up to the bag limit. The biological goals are to shift harvest later, reduce harvest overall, and spread it out across WMAs and other public land.