Quality differential from one brand of AR15 to another

menhadenman

I just got a Faxon barrel for one of my Grendels… maybe two months ago. Gotta swap it out with the PSA barrel that shoots so so to poor. Bet it’ll make a huge difference. For another $250 you could easily spend on ammo trying to “sight it in”

Stroker

Looks like I'm stuck in the property level with a Core15, two S&W's, a PSA 6.5G, and a Olympic K16. The K16 didn't even rank on the chart! With the right hand loads the Core15 and K16 will put ten in a half dollar @ 100. All have been updated with Larue MBT triggers, does this elevate them to Gucci B level?

Dub

Just think back in the 90s, it was Colt, Olympic, Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, and a few others.

I wonder how that chart would have looked then.

My guess:

Same people that came along and superhyped the Creeedmoor are the same that hyped the hype on the rest of it. :rofl:

More seriously, another guess is once word gets out that tier one military units are using a specific gun…..or top competitors are….then it is game on for the maker.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i don't know about hype...there are a world of enhancements in the Seekins receiver and parts kits that are simply not in the Colt or RRA receivers other than it just being billet.

I believe there is a legitimate justification for the tiers in the chart someone took the time to draw up. I also believe there are more people that justifiably should use Gucci items and it isn't just "Gucci Status" reasons. I also think there are more of those than there are the status folks.

I will use my buddy for an example...his primary is an LMT. His department allowed him to qualify with and use is in his cruiser. He had no issue qualifying with it since he runs it regularly. After some time he was thinking that he would not like to have it in evidence for some extended period of time or worse. He received a new department issued Bushmaster and wasn't able to qualify with it on the first trip. Since he is a smith he was able to make the adjustments to the rifle that would allow for the more stringent qualification drills to be able use it. Everyone that has a Bushmaster probably doesn't use it in the same fashion and it is fine. But out of the box it is not the same as the LMT other than they are both mil-spec. The accuracy isn't the same either yet both can be acceptable.

There is nothing wrong with a Bushmaster if that is what your needs are...or any of the others for that matter if they meet your needs.

no reason to look down your nose at Gucci or Poverty. I am curious though why some people buy the $499 PSA then add $700 to it to try and make it run Gucci :huh: when you can buy an LMT without furniture for about the same price...furniture doesn't make it shoot

FuNe2Me

Last edited:

Dub

Regardless of where one’s needs-wants fall on the AR spectrum……hopefully they buy multiples….and shoot them regularly. Keep buying ammo.

They are superfun and can be crazy accurate.

The more people that give them a try the better.

Hunter, plinker, competitor, defender, collector……..the more the merrier.
Buy the mags & ammo cheap and stack it deep.

The more AR guns in American citizen‘s hands the harder it is for scumbag politicians to target them and gain further inroads with gun control laws.

Ensure the AR is in common use ….buy ‘em and shoot ‘em often. Lots of fun.

Waddams

I have a PSA AR Freedom Rifle built from a parts kit and a lower I ordered online as well. Costs were:
-Parts kit from PSA on a Father's Day Special - $250 thereabouts several years ago now.
-Lower - Forgot where I ordered it, might have been PSA - $50-60-ish. Plus FFL fee when I picked it up. $15, I think?
-Came with one mag, I've bought 4 or 5 more 30 rounders and a 10 rounder.
-Something like $40-50 for open sights that ride on it.
-About $250 or so for the Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle obtained on some other special clearance PSA sale.

So all told - $350 for a basic firing rifle with open sights, then the cost of the glass that currently rides on it.

Best 100 yd grouping was about 2" on a very good day using cheap FMJ 55gr brass cased ammo. I'm usually a 3-4" shooter, though. Eyes just aren't that great but the rifle is plenty of capable of that and more. It's got basic milspec stuff, not a more expensive trigger, etc.

It does great for me. One of these days, I'll get no a hog or two with it and it's gonna put a round through an ear hole for some all natural, fully organic, free range fed bacon.

It's just me, but I just don't want to spend big bucks on a firearm when the budget level rifles with a decent enough optic will put the same bullet into on target at the same range for so much less $$$. Maybe one day I'll buy another budget level rifle and find the barrel or something just isn't up to snuff for the intended use but that just hasn't happened to me so far.

sbroadwell

I've got one, but not sure where it stacks up on the chart. Back before the pandemic, I was with our Alabama salesman, and he had a friend that owned a gunstore in Birmingham. We stopped by after work, and he had built up 20 for local policemen. The lower is Rock River arms. 16", 1:8 twist barrel, full handguard. He only had one left and offered it to me for $450. Figured I couldn't pass that up.
Put a 2X red dot (cheap Chinese one) on it and several magazines. Sighted it in and shoot it every now and then in the yard. Back pre-pandemic bought 1100 rounds of 55 grain IMI from Midway. That, plus all the smaller ammo purchases. I've shot it about 500 times, and have about 1000 rounds of the IMI left.
But, for some reason, I don't like shooting it much. Guess for too many years I've shot "regular" rifles, and don't much like the pistol grip on the AR. But, if (when?) worst comes to worse, I'll have one.