All 1911's are not created equal.

CraigM

Here they are (all 45 ACP):

My primary carry piece is a Colt LW Commander purchased at Franklins in Athens in 1976. It is a sweetheart to carry.
I added the Colt-Pach grips to it yrs later.

The other is a Series 70 Colt Combat Gov't with the Colt-Pach grips. I understand this one is a hard to find one.

Question: Are the Series 70 superior to the Series 80???

All I have owned are 1970's production and they have performed well. I don't know anything about Series 80's.

Series 80's have a firing pin safety known as the "Schwartz Saftey" some like it, purists hate it

mattellis2

I can understand your situation. I've been the chief bread (only provider) winner in my family most of my adult life. I've seen the time that $100 was a bit hard to muster up, so I understand. You must not mis-understand the intentions of the post and that was to point out the different grades of 1911. So you own a lower grade of 1911, that doesn't mean that it isn't adequate to do the job that you have it slated for. I would reccomend that anyone ona budget purchase one, if they are looking for a 1911. You just can't expect it to last like an upper model and don't load it down with extras and try to sell it for $600. No matter what you put into it, it's still a $300 - $350 pistol. Unless you are planning to put 10,000+ rounds through it, you are probably fine.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=210054

:whip: :bounce: i have nothing more to add.

-matt

Jack Ryan

This is my Inter Arms Silver Cup built up from WWII Remington Rand surplus parts. I "spent a ton" customizing it with some rubber Bianchi grips, an adjustable trigger, and had it re-blued after I carried it the first 20 years.

It goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it puts big fat holes where I want 'em.
aInterarmsSilverCup45ACP37.jpg

This is the government modle's little brother. It's still 45 acp but double action and shorter. It fits in a smaller pocket and does every thing the other one does, goes bang and puts big fat holes where I want them. Not quite as far away as the Silver cup but more than enough they will want to keep their head down.
aSWCS45acp42.jpg

Latest posts