Question about air conditioning ducts for the A/C pros out there

shdw633

I just had a home inspector question my a/c ducts in my attics. I have found out that the individuals that installed the duct tubes used tubes that are usually used for under mobile homes and not in attics as mine are black and not foil exterior material. The plastic exterior material is splitting though no damage is happening to the insulation material under it. Is this just a cosmetic issue or something of more concern as I don't see that it has had any effect on my air conditioners capabilities or have noticed any severe changes in my electric bill since they have been installed.

westcobbdog

I just had a home inspector question my a/c ducts in my attics. I have found out that the individuals that installed the duct tubes used tubes that are usually used for under mobile homes and not in attics as mine are black and not foil exterior material. The plastic exterior material is splitting though no damage is happening to the insulation material under it. Is this just a cosmetic issue or something of more concern as I don't see that it has had any effect on my air conditioners capabilities or have noticed any severe changes in my electric bill since they have been installed.

You could call your local Community Development Office to ask them to direct you to the code pertaining to that ductwork. You could also ask that inspector to show you the actual code covering the year of construction.
If you decide to address that issue, get your agent to discuss the issue with buyers agent to perhaps work out a solution that better suits you, heck the agent could reveal its not all that important to them! Other solutions could be an allowance ( if buyers lender allows ) perhaps some monies seller would contribute towards Buyer closing costs or a price reduction in lieu of replacement. Perhaps get a few quotes for said ductwork and go from there. Good luck. Play cards right and it shouldn't be a "pay upfront" or before closing deal but more of a pay after closing resolution.
Whatever you do you are better off around 100% of time in making the buyer happy but not doing the repairs vs offering an allowance, credit, increased closing cost contribution, ect..

pete56

How long has the ductwork been installed? Don't remember year but black vinyl has not been legal inside house since sometime in late 80s. As retired HVAC contractor I will tell you to call someone and have it replaced because the insulation is going to come off and cause you problems. The black vinyl was designed to be use where exposed to sunlight.

shdw633

How long has the ductwork been installed? Don't remember year but black vinyl has not been legal inside house since sometime in late 80s. As retired HVAC contractor I will tell you to call someone and have it replaced because the insulation is going to come off and cause you problems. The black vinyl was designed to be use where exposed to sunlight.

Since 1997, here's a couple pics of what it's doing.

ac.jpgac1.jpg