Raising Chickens

ssramage

Y’all got me curious about the chicken tractor. Could someone post some pictures?

This is one that I built for meat birds. Wheels slide on/off the studs on one side and you use a set of hand trucks under the other. It'll hold 20 or so meat birds, and I've thought about modifying with a nesting box/roost for a few laying hens since I'm not running meat birds right now.

chicken tractor.jpg

HuntingFool

Here is my coop that I built several years ago. Used hardware cloth and just cut about 18in longer than wall to provide varmit barrier at the bottom held down with ground stakes. You can build a feeder out of a 5 gallon bucket that only needs to be filled once a week with 8 chickens. I did the same with a 5 gallon bucket to make an automatic waterer. I use deep litter method and only have to clean the coop every couple of months. Big removable door on side makes clean out easy. I do not let my birds free range because of dogs and hawks. I have 8 chickens and picked heavy layers so I basically get an egg a day from each except when molting. I ate breakfast at a friends hose the other day and had to eat store bought eggs. Absolutely no taste.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 16

HuntingFool

I also put linoluem down on the floor inside coop to make cleaning easier. Side vents and front window can be opened in summer for ventilation or I have covers for the side vents and close the window in Winter. I don't use lights or heat lamps in my coop. I do switch over to a 5 gallon bucket with 4 horizontal nipples with a livestock tank heater in Winter to make sure they have plenty of water.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Here is my coop that I built several years ago. Used hardware cloth and just cut about 18in longer than wall to provide varmit barrier at the bottom held down with ground stakes. You can build a feeder out of a 5 gallon bucket that only needs to be filled once a week with 8 chickens. I did the same with a 5 gallon bucket to make an automatic waterer. I use deep litter method and only have to clean the coop every couple of months. Big removable door on side makes clean out easy. I do not let my birds free range because of dogs and hawks. I have 8 chickens and picked heavy layers so I basically get an egg a day from each except when molting. I ate breakfast at a friends hose the other day and had to eat store bought eggs. Absolutely no taste.
That looks close to what I was thinking of building.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Y’all got me curious about the chicken tractor. Could someone post some pictures?

Thanks.
You need fairly level flat ground for a tractor so that the cage part sits real close to the ground or I've seen a netting ring about 2 feet high that surrounds them and is very moveable. Guessing they clip the wings to keep them in the ring. The two places I have observed this set up they had a Pyrennes to protect the birds.

snooker1

We have 26 egg layers. My wife can usually fill an 18 pack a day. No one in our family has purchased eggs in over a year.

We have 15 meat chickens on order, this will be our first go around with them.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We have 26 egg layers. My wife can usually fill an 18 pack a day. No one in our family has purchased eggs in over a year.

We have 15 meat chickens on order, this will be our first go around with them.
Meat chickens grow fast!!! But they’re fun and easy to raise. I run through about 150 per year on average.

If you get overrun with eggs, you can freeze them, too.
Eggs to fry later - crack the egg, put wax paper in a cup cake pan, dump an egg in each hole, let freeze overnight to get solid, remove and vacuum seal.

Eggs for scrambling or cakes - whisk, dump in a square bowl with wax paper in it, freeze overnight to get solid, remove from bowl and vacuum seal.

When you’re ready to use them, plan ahead and let them thaw in the fridge. We’ve been doing it for years.,

Edited to add: for eggs to fry - poke a few holes in the yoke with a toothpick, don’t bust it, just a few pokes because it’ll expand when freezing if you don’t.

Last edited:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Meat chickens grow fast!!! But they’re fun and easy to raise. I run through about 150 per year on average.

If you get overrun with eggs, you can freeze them, too.
Eggs to fry later - crack the egg, put wax paper in a cup cake pan, dump an egg in each hole, let freeze overnight to get solid, remove and vacuum seal.

Eggs for scrambling or cakes - whisk, dump in a square bowl with wax paper in it, freeze overnight to get solid, remove from bowl and vacuum seal.

When you’re ready to use them, plan ahead and let them thaw in the fridge. We’ve been doing it for years.,

Edited to add: for eggs to fry - poke a few holes in the yoke with a toothpick, don’t bust it, just a few pokes because it’ll expand when freezing if you don’t.
Why a square bowl for scrambling?

Toliver

My wife and I want to start raising chickens. Probably going to do a flock of 6 or so, just for eggs, she/kids won't eat a pet. We want various breeds, for a variety of egg colors. I'm planning/ building the coop with reclaimed lumber now, so we're ready to buy chicks when spring comes. I know there are poultry forums, but I try to keep a low online presence, so I thought I'd ask GON if y'all had any chicken raising experience.

We'll probably buy chicks from Murry McMurry, or local flea markets. As I build coop, I have people tell me to put hog wire in the ground so predators can't dig into the coop. Other people tell me to add wheels, so I can move it around for additional feeding opportunities. I'm leaning towards security, and letting them out to free range when I'm home. Thoughts?

I think I need a variety of food (grains, bugs/protein, veggies/plants), I'm still reading up. I know I won't save money having my own birds, but any tricks to cut expenses?

Any suggestions of things to think about that I might not be asking?
If you're close to Newnan and care to check out this show...

20230110_160404.jpg