Rattlesnake Obsidian Knife

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m no carver by any stretch of the imagination, but I had to try it one time. The handle is the sword tine from an elk antler. The Blade is lizardskin obsidian and it is held in place with pitch glue and deer sinew.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,811

Woody's Janitor

That will work! Beautiful work as usual!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
And one more...

Attachments

• MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 856

WTM45

Nice!!!!!!! I can see a small leather sheath with snakeskin, a few beads, a little piece of silver..............

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Nice:fine:

boneboy96

very nice indeed!

Hoss

Nice piece of work there Nic. Got to admit, you are mighty handy with a peice of rock.

Hoss

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Vernon Holt said:
Unique interest and skill Nick. By the way, have you ever skinned a buck with one??

Yessir, I have, and they work very well. The technique is a little different from usin` a steel blade though. You want to stay off bone as much as possible and don`t try to split the brisket with one of these. When skinnin` a deer, especially if I`m savin` the hide, I only make 3 major cuts anyway. Then I work the hide off by hand so I have no score marks on the hide.

For skinnin` furbearers , a 2 or 3 inch fresh made flint or obsidian flake is what I prefer to do that work with. Held between the thumb and next two fingers, I have better control over the blade than I do with my old Improved Muskrat foldin` pocketknife.

LJay

Retired Mod
Well Nick, I guess you is a carver now too. That right there is sho' purty!!!!!

Handgunner

Sweeet! CAn you take a close up of the rattle's?

bam_bam

fine lookin piece there nick. Where did you get the obsidian from i'd like a piece of that. Maybe one day i can be as good as you are. I would like to see a picture of that arrow and case of points you got there. good job dude

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great work Nick. Thanks for post'n the pics.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks ya`ll, Delton and Bam Bam, I`ll get those pics for ya`ll directly.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here`s a close up of the rattles.

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 656

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Some reproduction points and blades.