Red Dot question???

Bubba_1122

How do you guys get a consistent sight picture with the higher mounts...I tried a Bsq on my 870 and could not get use to any anchor.
I'm don't think that deeply about it (it's not like shooting a precision 250 yard shot with a rifle through a scope).

Red dot on neck. Squeeze. Boom. Go pick up turkey.

That's the beauty of the red dot. I also believe that's why military and LE use them (ease of target acquisition when the pressure's on).

BTW, I believe there's a version of the Sig Romeo red dot that comes with a low profile mount (I have two - pretty sure one of them came with both).

Last edited:

longbowdave1

I'm waiting on the weather to warm up a bit on a weekend to sight in the red dot. Made up some targets tracing an old computer disc. Makes for a good kill zone reference. I also dug around in the junk pile, and built a lead sled for shooting the shoulder breaker. I always wanted one. I'll use steel weight plates to weigh it down. I'm looking forward to shooting the red dot. I just don't like sighting in guns below 30 degrees. Turkey target 1.jpgturkey target 2.jpg

hdgapeach

I'm waiting on the weather to warm up a bit on a weekend to sight in the red dot. Made up some targets tracing an old computer disc. Makes for a good kill zone reference. I also dug around in the junk pile, and built a lead sled for shooting the shoulder breaker. I always wanted one. I'll use steel weight plates to weigh it down. I'm looking forward to shooting the red dot. I just don't like sighting in guns below 30 degrees. View attachment 1001678View attachment 1001679

Be careful weighing the sled down. You shouldn't totally eliminate sled movement. You run the risk of busting the but/t stock if the sled has absolutely no "give" to it. Been there, done that.....

longbowdave1

Be careful weighing the sled down. You shouldn't totally eliminate sled movement. You run the risk of busting the but/t stock if the sled has absolutely no "give" to it. Been there, done that.....
Got it. A friend of mine broke his stock with a sled that also strapped the gun down. He was a sad little man when it happened.
I probably put a 30 pounds on it. The back of the stock holding bracket also has two layers of carpet with foam backing to absrb some of the recoil and give the stock a little floatability, if that is a word.

hdgapeach

Got it. A friend of mine broke his stock with a sled that also strapped the gun down. He was a sad little man when it happened.
I probably put a 30 pounds on it. The back of the stock holding bracket also has two layers of carpet with foam backing to absrb some of the recoil and give the stock a little floatability, if thst s a word.

That ought to tame the kick pretty good (lol)!

longbowdave1

I fought common sense and reason this morning. I headed into the winter abyss to shoot the turkey gun, I couldn't wait any longer. It was nasty! 25 degrees with a steady 20 MPH wind, but I did get some shooting in. I had to blast the Jeep through about 10" of ice and snow to pull into the hunting spot. I set up the shooting table right next to the Jeep to block the nasty winds... The shooting table and lead sled set up worked great. Found out it takes 3 dumbells to operate the set up properly, Two on the sled and one behind the gun. LOL I really like the red dot sight. got it dialed in pretty close before The cold got to me. I'll shoot it again before season to double check it.red dot snow 1.jpgred dot snow 2.jpgred dot snow 3.jpgred dot snow 4.jpg

Last edited: