Rifle Blackpowder shelf life

Stieet

Is there a rule of thumb for the shelf life of black powder rifle powder stored indoors, cool and dry, original container? How would I dispose of old powder. Thanks in advance.

Jack Flynn

I've got some that is 20 plus years old. Still goes boom and I swear I can smell that subtle aging scent lol. Got quite a bit that old ......

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Is there a rule of thumb for the shelf life of black powder rifle powder stored indoors, cool and dry, original container? How would I dispose of old powder. Thanks in advance.

If it is actually black powder, the shelf life is forever. If it's pyrodex, the shelf life is three days short of forever...

Used to be an old product called Clean Shot, actually went bad.

I've got some 10 year old Triple 7...

Try it before you toss it.

flintlock hunter

If anything real black powder gets more volatile as it gets older.

Real black powder has another unique quality. If you get it wet, it won't go bang untill it dries again, but it usually is stronger once it dries....this was related to me by my black powder mentor about 40 years ago.

GeorgiaBob

Keep your powder dry!

And it will do it's job everytime you pull the trigger,
almost forevermore.

White Horse

As the fellows above say, genuine black powder is good forever. If it has been wet and then dried out, it is a bit stronger than before. Ships used to dry out damp powder by drying it in the sun on sails.