Rio looking turkeys IN GA!

buckpasser

I’m not quite sure what to make of it, but beginning last year I started noticing some very different looking turkeys on the plantation I manage. We took one last year on opening day that was basically a Kansas Rio by color pattern with very much a raspy “Deep South” toned gobble.

Today I was fortunate enough to guide another successful hunt that included a group of five Toms finally breaking away from the hens and coming into my hunter. The lead Tom got shot and was a nice one (1 3/8 Spurs), but the two that we watched beat his lifeless carcass were as Rio colored as any I’ve ever seen anywhere. One was mostly buff tipped with a little on the rump and the other was completely colored buff all the way up the rump with bright buff primary and secondary fan feathers.

Two other Toms came to the gun for other hunters and they were normal chestnut coloration, so it’s not yet a majority by any means. Has anyone else experienced this?

119F6D86-E03A-44AE-BFDA-D128F5747EA5.jpeg

Here’s one example.

C9A561E3-F797-44AA-8126-2D9991709990.jpeg
The one from last year.

Blackston

Congratulations on a great morning ( I’m sure there’s some littler people that you’d rather be guiding) Do ya think someone could have “ introduced “ or “ released “ Birds of that subspecies or a hybrid ?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
May have some bronze turkey in them.
It’s a farm turkey breed.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
May have some bronze turkey in them.
It’s a farm turkey breed.
This...bronze is a breed of a heritage turkey. I know where some roam free and probably have opportunities to breed wild hens. Its also a plantation. Dunno if it happens, but could account for the odd coloration from gens back.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Interesting you bring this up. I saw a gobbler today with 2 hens that never came within range but I watched him through my binos. He stayed in strut almost the entire time. I told my buddy he looked like a Merriams with those white tail fan tips with secondary white stripes under that. Gorgeous bird and not mixed with domestic where I'm at. Maybe we'll meet again in the AM.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Interesting you bring this up. I saw a gobbler today with 2 hens that never came within range but I watched him through my binos. He stayed in strut almost the entire time. I told my buddy he looked like a Merriams with those white tail fan tips with secondary white stripes under that. Gorgeous bird and not mixed with domestic where I'm at. Maybe we'll meet again in the AM.
This ^^^ I was thinking I’ve seen a few birds that look a different but honestly I don’t know the differences enough to differentiate…….but I think I know what an Eastern looks like. I know “generally “ they are regional, but it’s just like a panther and they don’t always see state nor regional lines. Humans and animals alike have been racially cross breeding for a long time…….not saying it’s a bad thing, just saying it’s a thing.

buckpasser

@Blackston @kmckinnie @RedHills

The domestic thing is my fear. It doesn’t appear that there are any negative consequences at this point. The population is strong and getting stronger. Also, I’ve never seen or heard a “barn yard” gobbler around the place anywhere. The one killed last opening day had 1.5” spurs, so this has been around for quite a while I suppose.

I’ve reached out to a biologist to see if there are any other cases or possibilities to this. For now I guess I’ll just remain curious. I got another good pic of one this morning with the buff back. He also has big spurs.

buckpasser

I would say ours aren’t mixed either, but the coloration might suggest otherwise. I’m seeing them over a couple miles of property now.

I’m hoping maybe some wild deep recessive gene has emerged. Maybe I can pay the NWTF to redraw the map for another subspecies. Instead of Rio Grande we’ll call them Big River.

Blackston

What does a barnyard gobble sound like ?

buckpasser

What does a barnyard gobble sound like ?

Like a western turkey. Kinda like saying “a yell a yell a yell a yell a yell” in a fast high pitched way.

Ours sound like a growl comparatively.

Blackston

Thanks I’m learning more and more I’m pretty tone deaf to a gobble , the birds yesterday I saw one of em stretch his neck out and never heard a thing

buckpasser

Thanks I’m learning more and more I’m pretty tone deaf to a gobble , the birds yesterday I saw one of em stretch his neck out and never heard a thing

They have a way of dissipating in open country. I’ve seen them answer me across a pasture and not heard them at all.