Rock Island Handguns

madsam

Anyone know about this name brand ? 10mm caught my eye . I do not usually purchase what I call
an off brand but for the price I might bite. Any OP's would be appreciated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never owned one myself, but I know some folks who have their 1911s, and seem to really like them.

bullgator

Made in the Philippines.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have two RIA 1911s, a .45 and a 10mm, and they are both well made, good functioning weapons.

With RIA, you always get a lot of pistol for your money. Nicer features than the price would suggest.

When you find a discount, they are an especially solid deal.

I wouldn't hesitate, if you want it get it!!

B. White

I have two RIA 1911s, a .45 and a 10mm, and they are both well made, good functioning weapons.

With RIA, you always get a lot of pistol for your money. Nicer features than the price would suggest.

When you find a discount, they are an especially solid deal.

I wouldn't hesitate, if you want it get it!!

I also have a 10 and 45 made by them. The only trouble I've had was the 45 didn't like a Wilson Combat mags for some reason, but no issues with others. The 10 is very easy shooting, IMO, even with some hard cast hand loads I hunted with.

Dub

I have a RIA full rail model in 10mm.

Very accurate and pleasant shooting pistol. Adj rear with fiber optic front.

Trigger is very good.

Thumb safety and beaver tail grip safety were set up poorly, minimal resistance to defeat them.

Decent G10 grips.

Clip-on magwell that isn’t very robust appearing, but it hasn’t shifted position.

Cast slide and cast frame with many cast parts.

The MSRP price was more than fair, and the actual price was much better.

Foreign made, but not muslim made. I won’t buy a muslim made gun. Yes, I am a bigot.

I have no qualms over Rock Island Armory 1911’s. I bought mine to shoot as-is.

For a gun that I may want to customize or use as a base gun for a build I would stick with Springfield and Colts.

I don’t know that I would use one for a carry 1911. For carry and heavy use I want forgings and tool steel internals.….avoiding casting altogether. That is my personal hang up and doesn’t have to be anyone else’s.

My two cents, anyway.

madsam

I have a RIA full rail model in 10mm.

Very accurate and pleasant shooting pistol. Adj rear with fiber optic front.

Trigger is very good.

Thumb safety and beaver tail grip safety were set up poorly, minimal resistance to defeat them.

Decent G10 grips.

Clip-on magwell that isn’t very robust appearing, but it hasn’t shifted position.

Cast slide and cast frame with many cast parts.

The MSRP price was more than fair, and the actual price was much better.

Foreign made, but not muslim made. I won’t buy a muslim made gun. Yes, I am a bigot.

I have no qualms over Rock Island Armory 1911’s. I bought mine to shoot as-is.

For a gun that I may want to customize or use as a base gun for a build I would stick with Springfield and Colts.

I don’t know that I would use one for a carry 1911. For carry and heavy use I want forgings and tool steel internals.….avoiding casting altogether. That is my personal hang up and doesn’t have to be anyone else’s.

My two cents, anyway.
Thanks !!!! A little more interested now !!!

Reactions: Dub

Big7

The Oracle
Anyone know about this name brand ? 10mm caught my eye . I do not usually purchase what I call
an off brand but for the price I might bite. Any OP's would be appreciated.
I can pm you a number of a buddy of mine that's a 1911 CERTIFIED NUT and he can tell you anything you want to know.

1911 not my cup of tea so I ain't looked but he's VERY fond of his after he got some good mags.

I think he said Wilson but you can ask him.
Warning before you call him tho... He's a talker. Plan on being on the phone a minute.

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

Are these guns easy to put a red dot or scope on them? I am thinking I really want to try Handgun hunting with a 10mm.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have one...started out like this
IMG_2125.jpg

added a mag well and some good grips

Magwell.jpgscrew.jpg

bought these for it and don't think I eve got around to installing them. Read somewhere those are the only real issues they may have

IMG_2132.jpg

Dub

Are these guns easy to put a red dot or scope on them? I am thinking I really want to try Handgun hunting with a 10mm.

I'm gonna say this and probably will incur the wrath of the faithful.

I am first and foremost a 1911 fan.
My favorite style of handgun.
I don't know much about them....only that I love shooting them.

I say that in order to say this......there are better handguns styles than the 1911 for high velocity heavy rounds. If you are wanting to blow the doors off something....a scoped revolver in .357mag, .41mag, .44mag, .45Casull, .460s&w & etc is the way to go.

The 10mm is a decent round....defensive woods round for toting....killing stuff that may need killing....but for scoped hunting....you'll be able to deliver serious energy with a revolver and not have to worry about the intricacies of a semi-auto handgun.

If you are dead set on a 10mm semi-auto for hunting....then I'd recommend a G40 MOS w/ optic or Sig P220 SAO w/ optic. Both will have a bit more robust barrel lugs/footing than a 1911.

A 10mm wheelgun would be able to take full advantage of whatever heat you want to load to.

Don't get me wrong.....I'd rather have a 1911 than any other handgun....except for hunting where I'm wanting to get beyond bow range.

Dub

Thanks !!!! A little more interested now !!!

Everyone has different likes....I can only speak from my own perspective.

I began buying handguns on my 21st birthday....more than 30 years ago.

It took a while before I bought a 1911, Springfield Armory. It was a bit frustrating. Wouldn't feed reliably.
Distrusted it....sold it.

A few years later I shot a buddy's 1911 and was impressed. Trigger felt way better than mine had. His fed with 100% reliability and was dead nuts accurate.
I told him about my prior frustration. He theorized that I could have swapped to a decent magazine and my gun would have run just fine. He also offered I could have done wonders with the gritty trigger by simply flushing it out with lighter fluid and continued dry firing, flushing, dry firing.

I gave things another try a few years later on and have been hooked ever since.

Most of the manufacturers offer decent-to-excellent triggers in their 1911's. Some offer decent magazines, while others should simply be used only on the range for error recovery. :rofl:

Some are now offering decent hi-viz sights and not just the near-useless blacked sights that may or may not have smallish night sight lamps in them.

Some makers, such as Dan Wesson, offer guns made with solid internals and super fit & finish (but a cheese warranty at DW).

There are makers who offer semi-customs that cost more than many of us paid for our first, second or third vehicles. Only you will be able to gauge if the cost is worth it.

Then, there are custom smiths who will turn your base gun into a living dream pistola....and do so for about the same as a divorce may cost. :rofl: Again, only you can decide if it is worth it.

When starting off, I'd advise getting on the runway with a decently optioned gun made by a maker who has a solid track record of customer service that will ensure you get off the runway and into the air....and will keep you flying.

Rock Island Armory and Springfield Armory both have great reputations for customer service and swift turnaround among those in the 1911 community.

For your comfort and capability....I would suggest starting off with a model that has the beavertail grip safety and also one that has dovetail mounted sights.

Nothing wrong with a mil spec model....I have 'em and love 'em, however the lack of a beavertail can be an issue on high count range sessions, the smallish thumb safety and smallish sights are hinderances compared to what you'll instantly notice with a nice large thumb safety to ride and a front sight that pops out to your eye.

I'd also suggest starting with a 5" gun. They carry just as easy as the 4.25" guns and don't have the inherent issues that you may experience with the runt model 3" blasters that eat recoil springs like hongry Rottweilers but only feed like a finicky cat.

A fiber optic front sight and blacked out rear gives you a great sight image and the optic material is easily replaced in about 30 seconds if you ever want to change colors or refresh. They aren't as fragile as some would make them out to be so long as you carry in a proper holster. If they did break or fail in a defensive situation....I'm gonna wager that it won't be noticed because you'll be gripping & ripping.

rosewood

That isn't bigotry, that is self preservation. No since in funding the enemy (who is the enemy by their choice, not by ours).

• Love

rosewood

FYI, you can get the RIA in single stack or double stack (16 round) versions. Might want to see what fits your hand best.

I have been toting a Para-Ordnance P16-10 as my backup gun in the woods for 20 years (double stack 16 rounds). I installed night sights with adjustable rear and have used it many times for finishing off a critter. Always had it for that deer that walks up under your stand and you can't get the rifle on it, but so far have never used it for that.

I have take a few deer with pistols such as a 6.5" 357 mag revolver and various contender/encore options. The 1911 will work, but range/accuracy isn't as good of an option as a fixed barrel single shot or revolver.

Rosewood

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Also if you get a 10mm get Underwood ammo for it. Its full power loads, not like most brand name factory loads that are just .40 cal.