SA Sharkskin

hootjm

I'm looking for a good floating line for my 5wt and heard good things about the sharkskin, but the price is holding me back. Is it worth the price?

What are the other good lines out there? I'm putting it on a 9' 5wt Orvis TLS Power Matrix mid-flex.

allenww

No. Not to me. But then my favorite reel is a Medalist.

The South isn't about distance, but rather presentation, which is a
technique rather than a quality of a specific line.

wa

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
The difference that you will notice is shootability, and floatability on the water. How well it floats will translate into how well it picks up, and mends on the water. Shootability is significant when casting for distance on larger bodies of water. SA makes good lines with decent price ranges, as does Cortland. I personally fish a 444 lazer line and also a couple of Orvis lines. I also have a SA Ultra that I have used for many years. The point being, the line investment is not as significant when you consider the years of use you will recieve from it. Older model lines didn't preform as well after a few seasons, but now, that really isn't the case. If you keep them clean, and take care of them, (don't try to break the leader you crashed, off the line, and wind up cutting the last 3 feet off the taper ) :banginghe the lenght of service makes the higher prices much more bearable. Buy the best you feel comfortable with, and if you look around at several shops, you may find some real bargains on older inventory. Orvis shops are notorious for spinning off heavy inventory when getting ready for the spring season. Good luck!

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Just fount out that Timberghost Sporting Goods is sellin out all its flyfishing stuff. If your looking for a deal on a line, nows the time! I "had" a friend that bought a 444 Lazer for $20! He didn't buy me one too!:banginghe:bounce:

bowbuck

I think S.A makes great lines like the trout taper (all around trout fishing) and the GPX for throwing big streamers or indicator type rigs with two nymphs. However, not a big fan of the sharkskin. I just can't stand the whishing noise of it going through the guides. With a sharkskin it's no longer the quiet sport, I personally perfer to make my own sound effects. :bounce:

An interesting side note is the the fact that people paid 100 bucks for a line has seen most all other lines go up 10 plus bucks in the new year.

hootjm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't like the idea of paying $100 for a line.

How do the 444 lazer and trout taper lines compare?

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't like the idea of paying $100 for a line.

How do the 444 lazer and trout taper lines compare?

I have never used a Sharkskin, so I really can't give a comparision. But, you won't be disapointed with either the 444 or Trout taper.

allenww

Presentation vs. distance

Most of the time in the South I fish within sixty feet. For that (and any sight fishing), presentation takes precedence over distance. I want a good roll, no slap,
and I would like to be within three or four inches of where
I wanted to be. If your rod is suited to your typical water,
that simply does not require a hundred dollar line.

In the western rivers, where wading is more daunting to me, and widths of the rivers generally wider, maybe
Sharkskin comes into its own.

wa

BearGoneFishing

Sharkskin is amazing. Shoots quickly and far and picks up and mends like no other. One of the most accurate lines I have ever casted.

That being said in Ga I normally end up fishing a streamer every time no matter what time of year and there is no way to fish a sharkskin with a streamer for longer than 20 min. Unless you are wearing the gay gloves. Made that mistake one day and cut the crap out of hand.

Racer X

Most of the time in the South I fish within sixty feet. For that (and any sight fishing), presentation takes precedence over distance. I want a good roll, no slap,
and I would like to be within three or four inches of where
I wanted to be. If your rod is suited to your typical water,
that simply does not require a hundred dollar line.

In the western rivers, where wading is more daunting to me, and widths of the rivers generally wider, maybe
Sharkskin comes into its own.

wa

I know where you're coming from, it's just that your blanket statement about "the South" kind of threw me off.

The sharkskin lines are more for mending than anything else. They're the lightest feeling lines I have ever used. I'm sponsored by SA and have 4 of these lines. Some good points about them would be the ease of mending, they stay clean and don't gum up with dirt as easy, and they're tough. Some people don't like the sound but I say they're not too focused on their fishing if this is true. I noticed the sound the first time I fished one of these lines but after about 30 minutes I hardly noticed it anymore. Regular fly lines are not absolutely quiet anyway. The sharkskin has a nice zip sound, kind of like a drag singing.

Back to your general statement. Not everyone fishes the places you do. Not everyone that uses a fly rod are just fishing the mountain streams for trout. Some people actually fish big rivers, lakes, and saltwater. I think all of these can be found in the South. :whip: ;)

Two river shots. Pretty darn wide, don't you think? btw, 60ft is a fairly good distance, anywhere. You should try mending one of these lines at that distance. Pretty sweet.

ZBigwater.jpg

ZHR1.jpg