Sapelo Archery Hunt

Clipper

Got here yesterday and set up camp. Beautiful Island, like Ossabaw. We chose stands today and they took us out for an hour of scouting. Robert Carter showed me what the ground looked like under a feed tree several years ago and I found one today. Thank you, RC?. I’ll be there tomorrow morning?.

Clipper

We had about 25 hunters and I would guess we killed 10 deer and a couple of hogs. I had two come by behind me Thursday morning and couldn't get a shot. They were travelling and and didn't stop at the feed tree. I let my son-in-law hunt it that afternoon and the next day and found a place on his stand that had a marsh crossing in addition to the trail beside the marsh. I hung my lock on about 10' high because any higher and I would not have had cover behind me. Friday morning a doe came in and fed on what looked like a privet bush to me but it had red berries. I watched her feed for about 5 minutes and she ate more than half the berries on the bush. She was about 12' from the base of my tree. She finally stepped out into my shooting lane and turned her head away from me. I saw her eyes disappear (or so I thought) and started my draw with her at about 6 or 7 yards now. At about 1/3 draw she snapped her head around and looked straight up at me for about 5 seconds before bounding off. Rest of the hunt was uneventful.

My son-in-law saw deer twice with no shot opportunities and I'm sad to say my 16 year old grandson did not see a deer or hog. They did hear hogs twice. I think most hunters at least got one shot opportunity and there were several misses. There were 7 or 8 trad hunters there with most of them being from Florida. I know at least one of them got a buck. The DNR folks ran a very good hunt and took very good care of us. I will go back if I get drawn again.